Looper adds three to 2011 recruiting class

The Iowa softball team announced the additions of three new recruits to its 2011 class on Wednesday. Junior-college transfer Brandi Wall and high-school players Melanie Gladden and Sydney Reynolds will join the Hawkeyes next season, as well as the previously signed Megan Blank.

Wall spent the past two seasons at Iowa Western Community College. The Saskatchewan, Canada, native was a second team All-Region selection at shortstop as a freshman, and she is leading her team with a .461 batting average this season to go along with 10 home runs. Wall has led the Reivers to a regular-season conference championship and a region title so far in 2011.

Gladden, a pitcher from Asher, Okla., posted a 70-25 record in her high-school career with 449 strikeouts and eight career no-hitters. A four-time all-conference selection, Gladden went 28-8 as a senior with three no-hitters, a 1.24 ERA and 200 strikeouts. She was named conference Most Valuable Pitcher for the season.

But Gladden’s value doesn’t come only in the pitching circle. She batted above .350 in each of her last three seasons, and hit .442 with 39 RBIs as a senior.

Reynolds was a three-time all-conference and all-district selection in Platte County, Mo. She led her team to two conference titles and a 2008 state championship. She batted .407 as a sophomore and .356 as a junior.

“Our staff is excited to have these three players join the Hawkeye family,” Hawkeye head coach Marla Looper said in a release. “They each bring diverse experience to the field and will be valuable assets to the future of Iowa softball.”