India and Alexander honored as UI’s Athletes of the Year

Seniors Vince India and Kachine Alexander have been named the Iowa Athletes of the Year. They are now the Hawkeyes’ nominees for 2011 Big Ten Male and Female Athlete of the Year honors.

India was the recipient of the award after putting together the best individual golf season in Hawkeye history.

The Deerfield, Ill., native received the Les Bolstad trophy for having the lowest stroke average in the Big Ten and was named the conference’s Golfer of the Year. The nation’s eighth-ranked player was Big Ten Golfer of the Week twice this spring and won three tournaments this year.

India has played in nine stroke-play tournaments this year and has finished in the top-15 in all, including eight top-10 finishes.

Alexander, a native of Minneapolis, became the first player in Iowa women’s basketball history and just the fifth player in Big Ten history to collect 1,000 career points, 800 career rebounds, and 300 career assists.

This season, she led all guards nationally in rebounding, recording 9.5 per game and was a first team All-Big Ten selection and a member of the league’s all-defensive team.

She was also named an honorable mention All-American by the AP and won the first-ever Premier Player of College Basketball Award. The Minnesota Lynx selected her with the 26th overall pick in the 2011 WNBA draft on April 11.

India is now in the running for the 2011 Jesse Owens Male Athlete of the Year award, and Alexander is a candidate for the Suzy Favor Female Athlete of the Year award.

The winners will be announced in late June following a vote by a panel of Big Ten media.