Cole receives Chris Street Award

Departing senior center Jarryd Cole received the Iowa men’s basketball team’s Chris Street Award for the 2010-11 season on April 30.

The award is named for the former Iowa player who was killed in an auto accident in 1993; it is given annually to the player who "best exemplifies the spirit, enthusiasm, and intensity of Chris Street."

Cole also won the award in 2009, and he joins Jess Settles (1994, 1996, and 1999) and Adam Haluska (2005 and 2006) as the only players to receive the honor numerous times.

The Kansas City native and three-time cocaptain started all 31 games for the Hawkeyes this season, and he was second on the team in rebounding (6.3) and field-goal percentage (.568).

Melsahn Basabe was named the team’s Freshman of the Year and Best Rebounder after he became the first Iowa player to post more than 340 points, 200 rebounds, and 40 blocks in a freshman season. Point guard Bryce Cartwright was the Hawkeyes’ Top Playmaker, and averaged a Big Ten-best 6.8 assists per game in conference play. Both Basabe and Cartwright were honorable mention all-league selections.

Iowa City native Matt Gatens received the Black and Gold’s Defensive Player Award, Andrew Brommer and Roy Devyn Marble shared Most Improved honors, and Eric May earned the Hawkeyes’ Academic Award.

— by Seth Roberts