Celebration banquet set for Gable’s retirement

A retirement celebration for former Iowa wrestling head coach Dan Gable will be held on June 4 at the Coralville Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. The event will be called “Gable’s Gold: A Celebration of Dan Gable’s Legacy.”

Gable will step down from his position in the Iowa athletics office as assistant to the athletics director and also assistant to the director for performance enhancement. He will be honored with a reception and banquet that is open to the public.

Tickets for the reception and dinner are $50 per person or $500 for a table of 10. The tickets are available through the Iowa Athletics Ticket Office, at hawkeyesports.com, by phone at (319) 335-9323 or (800) IA-HAWKS, or in person at the west entrance of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Ticket office hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

The reception is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. with dinner served an hour later. A special program will follow, including featured guest speakers Tom Brands, the current Hawkeye wrestling head coach, Olympic teammate Ben Peterson, former Hawkeye wrestlers Terry Brands and Mike DeAnna, and Athletics Director Gary Barta.

Gable is regarded as the best collegiate wrestling coach in history. He finished his 21-year coaching career at Iowa with a 355-21-5 record, 15 national championships, and 21 Big Ten team titles.