Thode breaks school record in mile

Two more school records, two more NCAA automatic qualifiers.

Those were the accomplishments of the Iowa men’s track and field team this past weekend.

Sophomore Jeff Thode broke his own school record with a 3:58.72 mile in South Bend, Ind. It was the first time anyone has run a sub-4:00 mile in Iowa history.

Joining Thode in the record books last weekend was the 4×400 meter relay team of Patrick Richards, Ethan Holmes, Steven Willey, and Erik Sowinski. The foursome crossed the finish line in 3:06.66 as they continued to be one of the country’s top relay teams.

As of Monday morning, the Hawkeyes will send five events to the NCAA indoor track and field championships on Friday and Saturday in College Station, Texas. Joining Thode and the relay team will be Sowinski in the 800 meters, Justin Austin in the 200 meters, and Troy Doris in the triple jump.

Iowa is hoping that Jordan Mullen will also head to nationals. The sophomore was set to run the 60-meter hurdles in Ames March 5, but he was pulled because of a hamstring problem.

“We think Mullen is going to make it,” men’s head track and field coach Larry Wieczorek said. “[7.75] is a time that has made it in the past.”

All teams have a noon deadline today to determine which events their respective athletes will compete in at the NCAAs.

After all the automatic entries have been completed, Austin (60 meters), Willey (400 meters), Mullen and any other athlete who hasn’t automatically qualified for an event will find out tonight whether they will get to compete at nationals.

— by Ben Schuff