Softball goes 4-1 in Fort Myers

The Iowa softball team went 4-1 at the Moe’s Blue and Green Invitational this past weekend in Fort Myers, Fla.

The Hawkeyes beat Albany, 2-1, on Feb. 25 to start the weekend, with senior Chelsey Carmody scoring the winning run on a pair of wild pitches.

In the second game that day, Iowa scored five runs in both the first and sixth innings to take a commanding 10-1 lead over host Florida Gulf Coast. But the Eagles fought back, scoring eight runs in the bottom of the sixth to cut Iowa’s lead to 10-9. The Hawkeyes hung on to win, 11-9.

On Feb. 26, Iowa ran its winning streak to six games, outscoring Maryland-Baltimore County and Eastern Michigan by a combined score of 12-1. Sophomore Chelsea Lyon allowed five hits and struck out four batters in Iowa’s 5-1 victory over Baltimore County. The strong pitching continued in the day’s second game; freshman Kayla Massey allowed just three hits and struck out six batters in a complete-game shutout.

On Sunday, the Hawkeyes’ streak ended with a 5-1 loss to Southern Illinois. Ashley Akers scored Iowa’s only run on a passed ball. In the bottom of the seventh, singles by Katie Kroeger and Michelle Zoeller and a Nikki Gentile walk loaded the bases for the Hawkeyes with one out. But Brianna Luna struck out, and Katie Keim grounded out to end the game.

— by Sam Louwagie