Printy trades points for assists

Jaime Printy wasn’t the Black and Gold scoring machine she’s proven to be so far in her Iowa career.

She had her share of turnovers. Her shooting accuracy was nowhere near its potent season average.

But it didn’t matter. The No. 19 Hawkeyes easily handled Iowa State (6-2), 62-40 despite a season-low 5 points from Printy.

Iowa (9-1) relied on a diverse cast from its experienced roster to send the No. 14 Cyclones back to Ames with the bitter taste of defeat. Three Hawkeyes breached the double-digit mark — none of them named Printy.

"Morgan [Johnson] great offensive game and defensive game tonight," coach Lisa Bluder said. "It was so good to have Kelly [Krei] back on track."

And for Bluder’s Bunch, knowing that they don’t need the team’s leading scorer to have an all-star night every contest is a huge advantage.

"We prefer to have five people in double figures, that’s our goal," Bluder said. "[But] it’s nice to see what these guys did tonight."

But don’t be fooled by Printy’s low point totals. She was still an integral part of the offensive game plan. Totaling a career-high nine assists, the Marion native played distributor. And her selfless ways led to game-changing Iowa baskets.

The biggest beneficiaries were Krei — who finished with 15 points — and Johnson — who dominated the paint with 16.

"I can’t say enough good things about Jaime Printy and her passing abilities," Johnson said. "She just put the ball exactly where it needed to be, and it was easy to make the lay-up after that. She did the hard job, and I had the easy one."

Printy’s newfound role as facilitator was a response to the smothering defensive pressure Iowa State applied solely on her.

"It was just another game where they were keying in on me, but my team did a great job of stepping up," the 5-11 guard said.

Cyclone guard Kelsey Bolte said that shutting down Printy was a big part of her team’s defensive game plan before the game. That much seemed to work for Iowa State.

But the added emphasis on Printy left gaping holes near the basket, and she found and exposed the openings.

Thirty-four of the Hawkeyes’ 62 points came in the paint.

"I love getting other people open shots," she said.

Printy’s season scoring average — which entered Thursday’s contest at 16 points per game — will suffer. But more important to her and her teammates is a victory. And in order to achieve that, she was more than willing to sacrifice statistics for success.

"Every game is going to be a little different obviously," she said. "But once I realized that they were keying in on me I realized I needed to do other things besides just score."