Say Goodbye to Scrooge seminar deals with stress

‘Tis the season to be jolly, as well as incredibly stressed. At 6 p.m. today, experts from the University of Iowa Women’s Health Clinic will present "Say Goodbye to Scrooge: Don’t Let the Holidays Get the Best of You," a free public seminar discussing how to deal with stress during the holiday season. The event will be located in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics East Room.

Stacey Pawlak and Abbey Hardy-Fairbanks will lead the seminar. Pawlak earned a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Memphis and finished her academic career as an intern at the University of Iowa. She has worked with pregnant and postpartum women for more than eight years and is particularly interested in researching treatment for anxiety.

Fairbanks earned a B.A. in biology from Colorado College and got an M.D. from Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha. She has primarily researched issues in gynecology and obstetrics.

"Say Goodbye to Scrooge: Don’t Let the Holidays Get the Best of You" will not only demonstrate how to deal with stress during the holidays but in everyday living as well. The discussion will include topics such as family obligations, learning how to say "no," and deep-breathing strategies.

Early registration is not necessary, but it is recommended. To register, call 319-335-8886 or sign up online at www.uihealthcare.com/register.

— by Laura Willis