Softball nips Wisconsin in doubleheader

The Iowa softball team defeated Wisconsin, 1-0 and 14-1, on Wednesday during a double-header in Madison.

The Hawkeyes improved to 22-14-1 overall, 8-1 in the Big Ten, and Wisconsin fell to 10-24 overall, 0-8 in conference play.

In the third inning of the first game, Liz Watkins singled home Johnnie Dowling for the only run of the game. Dowling had reached base after being hit by a pitch.

Iowa senior pitcher Amanda Zust started both games, giving up only two hits in each game. Zust improved to 13-6 on the season.

First baseman Katie Brown recorded four RBIs in the second game, two of which came on a double in the top of the first to give Iowa a 2-0 lead.

Jenny Schuelke also tallied two RBIs for the Hawkeyes, and Dowling hit her second home run of the year.

The offensive outburst in the second game broke the Hawkeyes’ recent woes at the plate.

Previously, Iowa had only scored two runs in the three games prior to Wednesday’s double-header.

The Hawkeyes managed nine runs in the top of the fifth inning during he second game after loading the bases with no outs and converting on numerous Badger errors.

“Our offense did a great job of responding after the first game,” Iowa head coach Gayle Blevins said in a release. “And our offense now has some confidence heading into the next stretch of games.”

The Hawkeyes’ next game will be at home on April 18 against Western Illinois.

— by Ian Martin