Cruncheazy thumps Team Bob Saget

No. 1 seeded Cruncheazy used fast breaks in a 69-46 intramural Men’s Open Elite Eight victory over No. 2 seeded Team Bob Saget Wednesday night inside the Field House.

Both squads entered the game undefeated, but the meeting was not their first of the intramural season. Team Bob Saget senior Josh Heyer said the two squads have been scrimmaging against each other in their down time throughout the season.

“We knew what was coming at us when we found out we were playing them,” Heyer said. “With Ben’s [Burnham] shooting and Shae’s [McMurray] size, we really didn’t match up well.”

The first half began with Cruncheazy pulling away, 19-6, in the first four minutes with a seven-point run by the 6-9 McMurray, followed by six by first year graduate student Burnham.

Cruncheazy led at the half, 43-23.

During the intermission, Saget lagged on the bench, looking for an inspiration spark. A pep talk brought the team onto the hardwood to start the half, but two-consecutive 3-pointers by Burnham was a blow to the team’s spirit.

Cruncheazy has dominated the league thus far with the team’s closest game being a 15-point win. Yet Cruncheazy players are not overly confident entering the Final Four, where they will face UISSC — a team they are all too familiar with.

“We have been in the tournament four years in a row, and three of them we have lost to UISSC in the tournament,” McMurray said. “The next game will be our toughest game by far.”

— by Kylie Sebert