Baseball set for four-game series against Kansas

After a successful three games in the Big Ten/Big East Challenge, the Iowa baseball team hopes to improve its 3-2 record this weekend.

The Hawkeyes will travel to Lawrence, Kan., for a four-game set with the Jayhawks starting this afternoon. Kansas leads the overall series 11-7.

Jarred Hippen will start on the mound for the Hawkeyes for 3 p.m. game today. The sophomore southpaw threw a career-best 8 2/3 innings in his last start, earning his first win of the season.

Saturday will feature a double-header with the first game scheduled for noon and the second at 4 p.m.

Sophomore Phil Schreiber will start the early game for Iowa. The right-hander is holding opponents to a .194 batting average — the lowest on the team.

Senior Zach Robertson will get the nod in the later game. The southpaw has a team leading two wins on the season, and he has stuck out six in seven innings of work.

Iowa’s final game on March 7 is slated to begin at 1 p.m. with freshman Matt Dermody starting on the hill for the first time this season. Dermody, who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 26th round this summer, has thrown two innings of relief this season.

Junior outfielder Kurtis Muller, who is second on the team in batting average at .476, is riding a 16-game hit streak.

— by J.T. Bugos