Baseball heads to Florida

The Iowa baseball team will travel for a three-game road trip this weekend in St. Petersburg and Clearwater, Fla.

The Hawkeyes will face Rutgers, West Virginia, and Villanova during the Big East/Big Ten Challenge, playing in three former major league spring training venues.

Iowa sophomore pitcher Jarred Hippen is slated to start on Friday against the Scarlet Knights in Al Lang Stadium at 9 a.m. The southpaw received a no-decision in his last start, allowing four unearned runs.

At noon on Saturday, right-hander Phil Schreiber will start on the mound for the Hawkeyes against the Mountaineers at the Naimoli Complex. The sophomore threw three innings in his last start and tallied three strikeouts.

Senior Zach Robertson will toe the rubber for the Hawkeyes in their final game on Feb. 28 at noon against the Wildcats in Jack Russell Stadium. The right-hander has Iowa’s only win of the season thus far, picking up the victory in relief against Illinois State.

Junior outfielder Kurtis Muller will try to continue his 14-game hitting streak, and sophomore second basemen Mike McQuillan hopes to build on his torrid start as well. McQuillan is batting .500, with two home runs and seven RBIs, and he has a 1.083 slugging percentage.

— by J.T. Bugos