Folk tunes and feelings

Anna Vogelzang and Annie Palmer are traveling with more instruments in their ’98 Nissan than clothes.

“The lifestyle of touring is awesome,” Vogelzang said. “You’re out there doing exactly what you love doing, but you’re, like, on overload.”

Palmer said she enjoys the vacation aspect of touring the most, noting that if you tour enough, you end up having friends in a lot of cities.

The singer/songwriters will make a stop on their eight-state tour today at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., at 8 p.m. Admission is free.

Palmer and Vogelzang are promoting their new CD singles, “Carolina” and “Marry Me.”

While this is the first time the two have embarked on tour together, they have shared the stage many times since meeting through mutual friends.

Palmer first played the guitar before writing her own songs as a way to accompany herself singing.

She admits she began writing autobiographical love songs mostly out of vain.

“I got frustrated singing other people’s songs,” she said. “I wanted to start having more control over what I did.”

Compared with Palmer’s contemporary independent folk music, Vogelzang described her sound as “lady folk music about feelings” with pop and jazz influences.

Vogelzang writes all of her own music but said the process isn’t always the same. The 24-year-old wrote an entire album, Cartography, in only 12 days last February.

Since taking over the reins on her music, she has received positive feedback from audiences, helping them through situations such as heartbreak or family reunions. The artist said that it’s these moments that make her appreciate being a songwriter.

“I think that’s what makes awesome songs — like when people connect them to their own lives,” Vogelzang said. “So when you hear that song, you are immediately brought to that place.”