Top 20 TV shows of the last 10 years

1. “Arrested Development”

Canceled after only three seasons, “Arrested Development” won numerous Emmys in its short life. After developing a cult following on DVD, the show continues to gain fans from all over — just be sure to keep the your kids’ sticky little hands off Gob’s $3,600 pants or visit Bob Loblaw’s Law Blog.

2. “The Office”

“The Office” presents the American workplace in its worst form — an idiot boss with people who hate their jobs. Steve Carrell brilliantly portrays idiot boss Michael Scott, and John Krasinksi and Jenna Fischer play the lovable couple, Jim and Pam, all equaling a terrific comedic team.

3. “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”

Often called “ ‘Seinfeld’ on crack,” “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” brings the most absurd comedy on television. Featuring the “gang” as protagonists, they go on adventures from creating “Riot Juice” (grain alcohol and Hawaiian punch) for the Phillies’ games or their own version of “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”

4. “Entourage”

Movie star Vinny Chase and his boys live a lavish life that everyone dreams of — full of supermodels, money, and fame. With the hilarious Jeremy Piven as the superstar agent Ari Gold, the show is full of brilliant story lines and laughs.

5. “American Idol”

The show that not only brought Ryan Seacrest to fame, it launched the careers of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and a host of others and broke boundaries in the world of reality television. It will mark its ninth year on the air come January.

6. “30 Rock”

Although “30 Rock” lit up TV screens only a few short years ago, it is already considered one of the best comedies on television. Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey team up to show what happens behind the scenes of NBC’s 30 Rockefeller studios. Plus, no one can deny that anything Tracy Morgan says is funny.

7. “Mad Men”

Following the mysterious Donald Draper, “Mad Men” delves into advertising life in New York City in the late-50s and early ’60s. The show embraces the mantra “boys will be boys” as the men live like kings with their success — partying, drinking, and sleeping around.

8. “Grey’s Anatomy”

“Dark and twisty” Meredith Grey makes us all look shiny and happy. But despite the drama surrounding the show’s main character, “Grey’s” makes viewers envy Mer and Der, love elevators, and want to ride on ferryboats. Seriously? Seriously.

9. “Lost”

Feeding off human curiosity, “Lost” tells the story of Oceanic Flight 815, which crashes on an island in the Pacific. Exploring ground between the real and supernatural, the show features more cliffhangers than a Dan Brown book.

10. “Dexter”

Centering on Dexter Morgan, a serial killer who works for the Miami Metro police, “Dexter” presents a chilling show as one of the edgiest on television in the last 10 years.

11. “Scrubs”

Who does love a good dosage of guy love? Or a nice butt-chewing by Dr. Cox? “Scrubs,” now in its ninth season, presents a beautifully blended dramedy, not afraid to get completely silly with “eagle!” or quite serious with themes of death.

12. “Gilmore Girls”

There hasn’t been a show since that can compare with “Gilmore Girls,” with its fast-paced script and countless pop-culture references. Plus, Lorelai and Rory’s relationship was the envy of nearly every mother and daughter watching the show together.

13. “Desperate Housewives”

“Desperate Houswives” is arguably the show that launched ABC into competition with CBS, NBC, and Fox. Plus, it made running outside in a towel and falling over a bush sexy. Not to mention making murder socially acceptable.

14. “The Colbert Report”

Funnyman Stephen Colbert hosts “The Colbert Report,” a spin-off of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.” Never wanting to be outdone, Colbert’s self-centered attitude is what makes the show work.

15. “How I Met Your Mother”

In an age when the sitcom is dying, “How I Met Your Mother” still proves to be one of the funniest shows, despite the canned laughter. Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segal team up for one of CBS’s most successful shows ever.

16. “Bored to Death”

Although only in its first season on HBO, writer Jonathan Ames’ “Bored to Death” is promising. Combining the talents of Jason Schwartzman, Zack Galifianakis, and Ted Danson, the show utilizing great writing and acting for a hilarious blend.

17. “True Blood”

The last 10 years should be called the “years of the vampire” with the recent *Twilight* craze. However, HBO wasn’t afraid of the night, and it hopped on the vampire bandwagon, providing one of the most sinful shows — no matter how pale your skin is.

18. “The Tudors”

Henry VIII returns à la Jonathan Rhys Meyers in “The Tudors,” a show set during the tumultuous reign of the former king of England. Next year, however, will be its fourth and last season.

19. “Heroes”

A regenerative cheerleader, a mind-reading police officer, and a congressman who can fly make up a few of the large cast of quirky characters with super-human abilities. “Heroes” shows average people that there still may be a chance to be a few superhero.

20. “Supernatural”

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles star as two brothers, Sam and Dean, who hunt supernatural creatures and save the innocent from demonic deaths.