iPod Playlist: Awesomely tragic songs

The relationship between the song and its listener is subjective, but many songs pertain to specific experiences in our lives — especially when they deal with tragedy. However, only a select few still resonate. Here are a few that resonate particularly strongly.

• Bruce Springsteen, “The River”

A pregnant girlfriend ends up in a loveless marriage. The Boss’s harmonica and swelling voice gets the room misty every time.

• Damien Rice, “The Blowers Daughter”

After I told a friend I was listening to Damien Rice, she asked me if my dog had died. Rice’s voice is heartbreaking as he sings about a loss he can’t bear.

• Coldplay, “The Scientist”

On one of his band’s simpler numbers, Chris Martin’s voice convinces listeners that a reboot may be the best medicine for a relationship gone south.

• Death Cab For Cutie, “Tiny Vessels”

This poor guy singing this track landed a hottie and spent a few weeks with her in California, only to realize he didn’t care about her.

• Eric Clapton, “Tears In Heaven”

Clapton wrote this song after the death of his 4-year-old son. Try not to shed a tear.

• Pearl Jam, “Last Kiss”

A classic song that is simple, yet true enough for Pearl Jam to do a cover that suits Vedder’s deep vocals.

• Pete Yorn, “Just Another”

Nothing is more tragic than disappointment, especially when it involves a romantic interest. Yorn’s brooding voice rings true with dejected frustration.

• U2, “One”

In the quintessential tragic romance, two people continue to get together only to hurt each other time after time.

• Roxy Music, “More Than This”

Partially because of its appearance in *Lost In Translation*, this track warns the listeners to do everything they can to avoid disappointment.

• Weezer, “Perfect Situation”

“Here’s the pitch / slow and straight / all I have to do is swing and I’m a hero / but I’m a zero” — the story of every awkwardly charming geek’s adolescence.

— by Tyler Lyon