UI students’ video work to air

As UI students prepare for final exams, another student group is getting ready to put its work on live television for public consumption.

Starting at 8 p.m. Dec. 13, Student Video Productions will air 10 programs back-to-back. These shows will be featured on channel 4 in UI dorms, channel 17 for the city. The event is being held as what can be considered a finale of sorts for the fall semester. In fact, many of the shows featured will be airing their own season finale.

Student Video Productions, now in its 28th season, is an organization that was created for the sole purpose of generating television shows for UITV, the UI’s on-campus cable network. The idea to have every show run on one night is a new one, as shows typically air throughout the semester on alternate weeks.

For participants in Student Video Productions, this event will be a chance to show off the results of their efforts. The group’s marketing director, UI senior Alex Scott, said that for those involved, the experience will be much like that of an art show or theater performance in that it will introduce work to an expanded audience.

“Not only does airing all of our shows at once allow students to see the wide range of material we produce, it allows us to see what’s working and what’s not,” he said. “Getting our work out there … allows our creativity to be seen and our opinions be heard.

Student Video Productions welcomes comments on any and all of its shows, which may be directed to [email protected].

— by Rebecca Koons