Dodge-ball fans hit Field House

It only took a few short minutes for Cale’s Team to defeat Smooth Obturators in an intramural dodge-ball game Wednesday night in the Field House.

The 10-2 victory all but assures a spot for Cale’s Team in the dodge-ball tournament this weekend.

“We’re going to win it,” senior Cale Yeary said. “We’ve won every game we’ve ever played so far.”

Some of those games include the Night Games tournament held at the UI. The team earned a dart board and a few T-shirts for its effort in the event.

But the intramural tournament will be single elimination — similar to the ever popular film Dodge Ball: A True Underdog Story.

“We were definitely inspired by that movie,” Yeary said.

But Vince Vaughn’s experience is far different from that of the UI students participating in the intramural arena.

The games are played on the squash courts of the Field House, a fairly cramped venue. With such a small space for six players, games are extremely fast-paced — some lasting only a few seconds.

They’re also loud, with each ricochet and missed throw echoing throughout the court. The scene resembles a Civil War battle ground as the two teams fire at one another from close range.

Even players already hit and out of the match weren’t safe as stray balls criss-crossed and found them as targets yet again.

“It really sounds a lot worse than it feels,” Yeary said.

Tell that to the members of Smooth Obturators.

Some of the team left with a few minor welts and marks from point-blank throws. The only real victory Smooth Obturators gained was winning a rock-paper-scissors match at the beginning of the game to decide which team would start with two of the three balls supplied.

But the team name Smooth Obturators, a group composed of UI dental students, was a little more original than Cale’s Team.

“At first we wanted to go with ‘Srekcuf,’ ” Yeary said. “But in the end, we just went with Cale’s Team.”

While there’s no penalty for a bad name, there’s also no referee to call any actual infractions in the game.

Teams are left to resolve disputes on the court, and if a decision can’t be reached, they are encouraged to talk to the intramural staff member on site who has the official rules on hand.

At one point in the match, a member from Smooth Obturators asked Cale’s Team member Brad Bockholdt if he had been hit or not.

The two teams decided to simply replay the match to be fair.

“It would probably be better if there was a ref,” Bockholdt said. “But it’s really not that big of a deal.”

With no referee and only a little space to play in, things got hectic on the court. But members of Cale’s Team said it’s too hard to form any kind of strategy.

“You just go out there and throw the ball as hard as you can,” Yeary said.