Halloween comes with special safety cautions

While Iowa City’s young trick-or-treaters are supposed to pack up by 8 p.m., Iowa City police Sgt. Troy Kelsay said additional officers will be monitoring the downtown crowd.

Officials anticipate the bars to be very busy, he said.

“We’re going to try to get as many officers out there as we need,” Kelsay said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if some officers were held overtime.”

Even people’s choice of costume can cause trouble. Those who opt to wear the more risqué attire, for instance, could face indecent-exposure charges.

“The costumes are always a little over-the-top,” Kelsay said, although he couldn’t think of officers ever charging anyone.

The Hawkeye home game will add to the workload. The UI police expect to see interesting costumes at the football game at Kinnick Stadium. They plan to enforce special rules for the game, which were sent in an e-mail to UI students.

Overall, UI officials said they don’t expect the weekend to be different from any other.

“We’re prepared and have all the resources for anything that might happen,” said David Visin, an associate director of the UI police.

On the prevention side, the Rape Victim Advocacy Program will begin its annual fall campaign this weekend. More than 32,000 napkins and posters will be put in all the bars in the Iowa City Bar Association for the “Stand up. Don’t Stand By” effort.

Kristin Van De Griend, the youth education coordinator at RVAP, said the colorful napkins are printed with a message encouraging bystanders to get involved if they see someone at risk of getting raped.

Organizers chose this weekend for more exposure, particularly at the bars, Van De Griend said.

While officials prepare, UI students have mixed feelings about their personal safety on Halloween night.

UI freshman Kendall McCabe will close Capanna Coffee & Gelato, 136 S. Dubuque St. and has to walk home after midnight.

“I will feel slightly less safe than usual going home so late because it’s Halloween,” she said, noting that more people will be intoxicated in the downtown area.

While increasing vigilance, Kelsay stressed Iowa City police won’t be spooked.

“It’s usually a fun night to work,” he said. “Halloween weekend is right up there with New Year’s Eve in revelry.”