Men’s golf finishes 3rd

Rainstorms and a postponed round couldn’t keep the Iowa men’s golf team from finishing in the top three at the Baylor Intercollegiate in Dallas on Tuesday.

Iowa shot five-over-par in the final round, finishing 17 strokes behind first-place Texas A&M and 14 strokes behind second-place SMU.

After rain suspended play halfway through the second round on Monday, the Hawkeyes entered Tuesday in first place, one stroke ahead of Texas A&M.

Iowa’s two top scorers, juniors Brad Hopfinger and Vince India, finished tied for 10th place with scores of 214 (1 over) after combining for 14 birdies through the tournament.

Hopfinger, who was averaging a score of 72.1 per round before heading to Dallas, improved each round, shooting 73 (2 over), 71, and 70.

India shot one-over par in the first round before shooting even-par in the final two.

Sophomore Barrett Kelpin finished tied for 23rd with a score of 219. Kelpin tied Hopfinger for the lowest score in a round on the team with a 70 in the second round.

The Kalamazoo, Mich., native was brought down by four bogeys and only one birdie in the final round.

Sophomore Chris Brant shot 223 and tied for 40th. Brant began the third round tied for seventh place, but shot eight bogeys and one double-bogey to finish the tournament.

Sophomore Brad George ended the tournament in 45th place after shooting 225.

— by Clark Cahill