Commentary: Limbaugh deserved NFL ownership consideration

Rush Limbaugh is a despicable racist and, as such, has acquired a small fortune by hatemongering, spewing vitriol, and pandering to and encouraging ignorance.

So what, exactly, disqualifies him from NFL ownership? Nothing.

The NFL should be ashamed of driving Limbaugh out of ownership contention.

First, let’s clarify one part of this controversy: Limbaugh’s proposed stake in the St. Louis Rams would have been as a limited partner.

If NFL owners and management are going to object to anyone, maybe they should object to Dave Checketts, the lead investor in the group that included Limbaugh, because he is the one who considered Rush to be a sound business partner.

Additionally, one of the key tenets of the Checketts group is keeping the team in St. Louis — no doubt a comforting thought in the minds of Rams’ fans.

Limbaugh’s bigoted tendencies aren’t exactly welcome in a fan base that Fox Sports’ Jason Whitlock called “10 percent black,” but I imagine the same fans aren’t too fond of the idea of the Rams leaving town.

Celebrity ownership of professional sports teams isn’t a new development. Marc Anthony, Fergie, and Emilio and Gloria Estefan all have stakes in the Miami Dolphins.

Jay-Z, Nelly, and Usher have investments in NBA teams. Even a good ol’ boy such as Gene Autry made the move to the owner’s box when he bought the Los Angeles Angels in 1961.

Again, what’s the problem with Rush’s money?

The one legitimate strike against Limbaugh occurred in 2003 when, as an out-of-place commentator for ESPN’s Sunday Night Football, he said, “I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media have been very desirous that a black quarterback do well” while discussing Philadelphia Eagles star quarterback Donovan McNabb.

As a result of this quizzical, inappropriate comment, Limbaugh was pressured into resigning, and he hasn’t appeared as a sports commentator since.

The reason this comment, among the many nauseating gems that have fallen out of his mouth, is the only one worth considering is because it deals directly with race and football.

But let’s take a quick poll of other NFL owners. The vast majority of them are extremely wealthy, older white men — members of the same demographic that constitute Limbaugh’s ideological fan base.

I’m not trying to accuse the other owners of racism, but why should Limbaugh come under attack?

Shouldn’t other NFL owners be required to give complete disclosure of their personal views regarding race, politics, and other hot-button issues?

How does the NFL explain its sudden preoccupation with morality? The league’s roster includes liars, cheaters, drug users, wife beaters, and animal abusers.

While NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made a point of enforcing good conduct, criminal behavior has not been a negating factor in league membership for many individuals. Given this precedent, it’s unfortunate the league chose to persecute Limbaugh for exercising his right to free speech.