Volleyball falls to No. 8 ranked Illinois

There are a plethora of different statistics in athletics.

But sometimes those statistics don’t correlate with the numbers that truly matter — the game’s final score.

The Iowa field-hockey team’s (6-9, 3-3 Big Ten) 2-0 loss to No. 14 Louisville on Sunday at Grant Field was a perfect example of such a phenomenon.

The Hawkeyes entered their Senior Day trying to carry momentum over from a 1-0 overtime victory at Northwestern on Oct. 23. Despite outshooting the Cardinals 14-10 and earning more penalty corners, 13-8, Iowa couldn’t match Louisville in the category that mattered most — goals.

“To be able to out-corner and outshoot [Louisville] and not get the result, that’s always really hard,” Iowa head coach Tracey Griesbaum said. “But we’ve been on the other end of that, too, this season. We’ve had some of those [games] where we’ve won, and we haven’t necessarily out-statted our opponent. That’s just the game.”

Louisville utilized an aggressive front that saw as many as seven players pressuring deep into Iowa’s half of the field. As a result, the Hawkeyes spent the majority of the first half trying to get the ball out of their own zone.

Fortunately for Iowa, freshman goalkeeper Kathleen McGraw continued her recent string of great play. Coming off two-consecutive shutouts, she helped hold down the Louisville offense, recording four first-half saves.

“She’s not playing like a freshman anymore,” Griesbaum said. “We’re really, really impressed and proud of how she’s handled herself.”

A late first-half flurry saw the Hawkeyes fire six shots, but none found the back of the net.

The Cardinals finally broke through for the game’s first goal at the 54:49 mark during the second half. Assisted by Nicole Youman, Louisville’s Karah Nall tallied her fifth goal of the season on a deflection off a penalty corner.

Fewer than five minutes later, Youman scored on a chip-in to put Louisville up, 2-0.

Even with eight shots and seven penalty corners in the second half, Iowa could not find a way to cut into the deficit.

Senior Tricia Dean cited a combination of Louisville’s defense and Iowa’s lack of execution for her team’s inability to break through.

“We dominated in stats,” she said. “Their goalkeeper played really well, but we definitely have to find a way to put [the ball] in the net.”

The Hawkeyes will travel to Washington, D.C., this weekend for the final two games of the regular season. Iowa will take on No. 9 James Madison at 1 p.m. Friday at American University. The Hawkeyes will then play American at noon Nov. 1.