This Providence set to headline Iowa City

Every time This Providence has trekked to Iowa City, it has always been a performer, never a headliner. Until now.

This Providence will play the Picador, 330 E. Washington St., at 6 p.m. today with Inept and Danger is my Middle Name. Admission is $12.

Though tonight’s show will be a different for the band, This Providence is no stranger to playing Iowa City. The members have performed here numerous times — most recently with Copeland earlier this year.

“It’s always been a fun [place] for us,” drummer Andy Horst said. “We’ve had a lot of good memories [in Iowa City].”

Horst’s first performance at the Picador was in 2007, when he and the other members of This Providence toured with June. Horst recalled the show — the last of that tour — as one of his fondest memories of Iowa City.

“We did all of these insane pranks to June,” Horst said. “On its first song, we duct-taped the bassist to a chair.” He later said the band members also cracked eggs over people’s heads and stole and trashed June’s van.

Horst said This Providence’s current tour is in support of its latest album, Who Are You Now? which dropped last March.

“The whole record was based off this story than Dan was going to write [but never did],” Horst said, referring to lead singer Dan Young. “Most of the songs lyrically have to do with these characters in his head.”

The band has had an ever-changing members in its lifetime. Along with the departure of four since This Providence’s genesis in 2003, the group also switches between having a four- or five-piece lineup. The band has four members now, but five who play together.

“We have a guitarist who tours with us full-time,” Horst said, though he isn’t considered a full member of the band.

Don’t be fooled by This Providence’s moniker — Horst said the group isn’t a Christian band. In fact, he said the band wants to appear more in line with Bruce Springsteen.

“I think our goal is to be a respected rock band,” Horst said. “That has longevity that can actually make this a career.”