Symposium honors UI’s Ponseti

No one knows the foot better than Ignacio Ponseti.

For the next two days, the UI Hospitals and Clinics will host its annual Ponseti Symposium, which teaches medical professionals about clubfoot — a congenital deformity in which the feet turn in — and the Ponseti Method for treating it.

“The main purpose is to raise money and awareness,” said Stuart Weinstein, a UI orthopaedic surgeon. “This is something the university and the community can be extremely proud of.”

Over the last five years, the symposium has concluded with a number of Professor Emeritus Ignacio Ponseti’s cured patients participating in a “fun run” to show their recovery. The segment has allowed Ponseti to see his patients’ successful rehabilitation.

This year, however, the run has become a formal event, including a 5K race for adult participants. Under the slogan “We race so one day they run,” the event raises money for clubfoot gene research to eventually prevent the disease entirely.

“It’s the most wonderful thing I can possibly imagine to bring awareness of the method to the community,” Weinstein said.

Paul Etre, the administrator of the UIHC’s orthopaedics department, said the fundraiser has attracted roughly 300 runners.

“Every time there was a symposium, parents wanted to see and thank Dr. Ponseti,” Etre said. “They wanted to show off their children’s feet.”

In the 1940s at the UIHC, Ponseti developed a unique, non-surgical method to treat clubfoot.

Experts say the disease is crippling and, if not treated, can force the child to walk almost on her or his ankle. Every year, clubfoot affects 150,000 to 200,000 children born worldwide, according to Ponseti International.

Eventually, the Ponseti Method gained recognition across the globe.

The method includes stretching, casting, and bracing of the child’s leg in order bring the foot back to a normal position. The entire process usually takes no more than a month.

“It’s really amazing,” said Jose Morcuende, a UI associate professor of orthopaedic surgery. “We can really change the life of one of these kids. When you can teach and empower, it is very gratifying.”

Weinstein said the work of UI students this year has contributed to the success of the event.

Students from the UI’s Public Relations Student Society of America developed and implemented a marketing strategy for the fundraiser, offering T-shirts and forming partnerships with local businesses. The Java House has offered a deal on its coffee if customers sign up for the races.

“It’s amazing to know that the event takes place at the University of Iowa,” said UI sophomore Megan Grote, a member of the society’s Ponseti Races planning committee. “The [Ponseti Method] has spread through America and the world. It’s influenced other doctors and their studies.”

Throughout his time at the UIHC, Ponseti has not only changed the lives of his patients but also those lucky enough to be his colleagues.

Etre, who has formed a special relationship with Ponseti during his 22 years in the orthopaedics department, stressed the importance of Ponseti’s presence at the university.

“It’s similar to having Einstein associated with your university,” Etre said. “It’s an honor for the state.”