Dine on a Dime: Tangy No-Bake Cheesecake

I remember the first time I had cheesecake like it was yesterday. I don’t really remember the cheesecake itself — it was probably some rather bland frozen thing. What I do remember, however, is the experience.

Many people remember hearing the word “cheesecake” for the first time and either not having it compute or having a disturbing mental image of a cake made of cheese. My thought process was a little different.

I could have been no older than 4. I believe we had just finished a delicious supper of beef stroganoff, and my mom said we were going to have cheesecake for desert. I thought to myself, “Cheesecake? What the hell!?”

You see, in my 4-year-old brain, I envisioned cheesecake as a regular sheet cake with Cheez Whiz for frosting. And, somehow, that sounded exceptionally appealing. I was 4 — that is my only excuse.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed when I saw what cheesecake actually was. I was also quite bewildered as to what kind of cheese it was made of. It never occurred to me that cream cheese could be anything other than bagel spread. Now, I know better.

Today, I present you with an easy recipe for tangy, sweet, bake-free cheesecake that is a thousand times better than the mix you can buy in a box.

RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 package cream cheese

Directions

Soften the cream cheese in a microwave on medium power for about a minute. Mix sugar into cream cheese. Add milk. Stir. Add vanilla and lemon juice. Stir. Add Cool Whip. Stir slowly, until the mixture is of uniform color and consistency. Pour into pie crust. Refrigerate for three hours or until firm. You’re done.

— by Tanner Koomar