Third-ranked Legit Ballers shutout VONK

Getting warmed up for the playoffs, the Legit Ballers put on a clinic Monday night at the Hawkeye Recreation Fields, beating VONK, 46-0.

The victory helped Legit Ballers solidify the team’s spot among the elite in the men’s open league.

His statement was as accurate as Legit Ballers’ quarterback Zach Edwards’ throws.

The senior tossed four touchdown passes and ran for two more scores in a dominating performance.

He hit several different receivers all over the field.

“They had a real good quarterback,” VONK senior Gary Wright said. “We have to give them that.”

Edwards avoided pressure with some nifty moves and still threw tight spirals to his receivers. On several occasions, his accuracy got through tight and double coverage.

On one play in the third quarter, Edwards was forced to scramble out of the pocket, but he found a way to toss a deep pass down the right sideline to a well-covered Sam Wiss. Wiss snagged the ball, ran diagonally across the field, and lateraled the ball to a crossing Mike Rodewald, who took it in the last 10 yards.

Edwards made several scrambling throws during the night.

However, VONK’s quarterback situation wasn’t as settled.

The squad tried out numerous players under center, but none of them had much success.

“We don’t really have much of an offense,” Wright said. “We sort of just go out there and [run] around.”

The platoon of VONK quarterbacks combined to throw four interceptions — one on the opening drive and another that was returned for a touchdown.

“We felt good about both our safeties getting two picks,” Legit Baller senior Ryan Drysdale said.

Much of the success of the secondary can be attributed to the constant pressure — Legit Ballers sent two men after the quarterback on every play, which resulted in a lot of rushed incompletions, tipped balls, and the four takeaways.

VONK was never able to muster much of an offensive attack and seemed demoralized and indifferent on defense in the second half.

“I felt like we pretty much gave up after it was 7-0,” Chris Penning said. “We’re going to go drink this one away.”

While the score indicated a one-sided game, Legit Ballers admitted VONK wasn’t the worst team they’ve faced.

“They weren’t a bad team,” said Austin Kannegieter. “They gave a good effort.”

While the VONK sideline was quiet, the Legit Baller members were easygoing and smiling, something that was obvious during the game as well.

“We just stay loose and have fun out there,” Lose said.

Currently ranked third in the men’s open league and garnering a few first-place votes, the team is optimistic about its playoff chances. Senior Jordan O’Brion thought his team played with a lot of intensity.

“We’re the smallest team, but we have the biggest hearts,” he said.