iPod Playlist: Best Songs to Play on the bar Jukebox

One of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind is the electronic jukebox. On it, bar patrons can find almost any tune in existence, even if it is expensive as all hell. The music played over a jukebox can change the whole atmosphere of the bar, sometimes for the worse. Here is a list to make sure you don’t become “that one guy” known for his bad taste in music.

1. “Girls Got Rhythm,” AC/DC.

Forget Back in Black — that is way too overplayed. This rockin’ Bon Scott-era AC/DC track is guaranteed to liven up the bar. And it is sort of danceable, which women like.

2. “No One Like You,” the Scorpions.

For some reason, no decade screams “bar music” quite like the ’80s. “No One Like You” has one of the most awesome guitar intros of all time and proves that Germans know how to party.

3. “Walk,” Pantera.

I love heavy metal, but it can be a little too intense for the bar setting. However, scientific studies have proven that when “Walk” hits the speakers, the party is taken to another level. The ultimate bar song.

4. “Tequila,” the Champs.

Who hasn’t dreamed about recreating the scene in Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure in which Paul Reubens gets on the bar counter and dances in front of a biker gang? This song brings the most unlikely of sorts together, so play it and make some new friends.

5. “Living on a Prayer,” Bon Jovi.

Bon Jovi’s finest hour, and it’s a song that EVERYONE knows. Be warned though — play this too late in the night, and it will likely turn into a bad karaoke session.

6. “Separate Ways,” Journey.

Screw “Don’t Stop Believing.” This is the most epic keyboard song of all time and Journey’s best. The song can also be replaced with “Any Way You Want It.”

7. “My Michelle,” Guns ’n’ Roses.

Don’t be a jukebox fool and throw on “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” Everyone knows that old number. “My Michelle” is a hard-hittin’, shot-slammin’ track that represents the best of rock ’n’ roll excess.

8. “Down Under,” Men At Work.

I don’t know much about Australia, but I do know that they love those Vegemite sandwiches. This is the best lesser-known sing-along song to play at a bar. Plus, it’s basically Australia’s national anthem. How badass is that?

9. “Detroit Rock City,” KISS.

Say what you will, but KISS makes for good bar music. Especially “Detroit Rock City,” which has always been known by KISS haters as “that one song I like by the band.”

10. “Kickstart My Heart,” Mötley Crüe.

The best hair metal band of the ’80s produces the best party song to close out the decade. Best use of talk box in a song ever.

— by Eric Andersen