Field hockey opens Big Ten against Michigan

Coming off a 12-0 victory over St. Louis on Sept. 19, the Iowa field-hockey team members are the most confident they have been all season.

For good reason, too. The Hawkeyes’ 12 goals were the most scored by an Iowa team since scoring 13 in 1997.

But when Iowa (2-5) marches into Ann Arbor for its Big Ten opener against Michigan (2-6) at 3 p.m. today — the match will air on tape delay on the Big Ten Network at 5 p.m. Sept. 27 — nothing will be further from the Hawkeyes’ minds.

Iowa head coach Tracey Griesbaum’s focus has been on her team’s practices this week — which she has emphasized to her players, as well.

“I think St. Louis served a purpose,” Griesbaum said. “It was a good result, but we’re onto the next thing. I don’t think when we step into Ann Arbor, we’re going to be thinking about St. Louis.”

For the first time since 2006, neither Iowa or Michigan is ranked entering their regular-season clash. Despite slow starts, both teams are still receiving votes in the coaches’ poll. Both teams have also played two of the toughest schedules in the country.

Michigan’s six losses have all come against ranked opponents. Like the Hawkeyes, the Wolverines share blemishes against No. 2 North Carolina and No. 3 Wake Forest.

Facing premier competition has been routine ever since Griesbaum took over at Iowa.

“It helps a lot,” she said. “In order to get [the players’] attention and have them get the best out of themselves, they have to compete in practice, and then we have to play the best teams in the country. Every team we’ve played this year has given us something we’ve had to adjust to. All of those experiences add up.”

Not only will it be the first Big Ten game for Griesbaum’s eight freshmen, but it will also be their first televised game. But for one young Hawkeye, the experience won’t be quite as unfamiliar.

Freshman Sarah Drake is an Ann Arbor native who at one time considered becoming a Wolverine. But with the coaches, the team, and the city itself, Iowa City offered the “whole package” for her.

“I don’t know if it will help my game,” she said. “Even if we played Michigan here, it would be an exciting, intense match.

“It does kind of stand as a little bit of a distraction knowing that all of my friends and family will be there. But as long as I stay focused and make sure to take care of the task at hand, it will be nice to give hugs and see my family afterwards.”

Drake and the rest of the Hawkeyes will be in for plenty of hugs if they are able to replicate their 12-goal effort against St. Louis — but that’s unlikely. Still, Iowa has to keep its scoring up after only tallying 12 goals in its first six games.

“It’s capitalizing on the opportunities that we have,” Drake said. “Just making sure that we get the ball in the back of the net and playing tenacious in the circle.”

Even if the Hawkeyes are able to open up their Big Ten schedule with a victory, they will still have a long road ahead — including five more games against a conference that Drake describes as “no joke.”

But this afternoon’s stage will prove to be a crucial experience, regardless of the result.

“Having the experience — I can’t even describe how much it helps,” said senior Jess Werley, who recorded her first career hat trick against St. Louis. “You don’t really have the jitters. You just have a confidence that wasn’t there before.”