Cross-country runners get inked

Cross-country is individual by nature. Only one athlete can place first.

But at Iowa, head cross-country coach Larry Wieczorek encourages a tradition that helps remind his runners that they still belong to a team.

“It’s an informal tradition here,” he said. “Some do it right away, some wait for some time.”

The tradition is the Tigerhawk tattoo that most of his runners sport on their upper right thigh, visible when they wear their high-cut running shorts.

Former Iowa All-American Kevin Herd is believed to be the originator of the tradition, getting the popular tattoo when he ran for the Hawkeyes in the early ’90s.

Since his graduation in 1994, the tattoo has become a rite of passage for male cross-country runners.

“I got mine a few weeks ago,” said junior Mark Battista, who got his tattoo with sophomore teammate Chase Kadlec. “I did it because I’ve run in the top seven for the past three years.”

Though no official rule is in place, the protocol for tattoo seekers is an important one and is understood by all. Battista and Kadlec sought out captains Brendan Camplin and Tommy Tate for their blessing before getting the ink, which can cost anywhere from $60 to $80.

“We’ve been here for five years. It’s to see if it’s OK,” said Tate, who received his tattoo during the second semester his freshman year. “I asked the older guys when I got mine. It’s a rite of passage.”

It’s the role of the veteran runners to help a younger team member decide whether it’s the right time to get the tattoo or if he should wait until he has more races in his résumé.

“It’s tradition. You have to earn it,” said Tate when asked what would happen if a true freshman had the tattoo before competing in enough races. “They would be out of place.”

Not every runner is itching to get the Iowa ink, though. Junior runner Sam Bailin has all but decided that the tattoo just isn’t for him.

“I’m not a big tattoo guy,” he said. “[A national championship] may not be enough to get one. They all respect my decision, though.”

Wieczorek has set strict parameters for his own tattoo. It’s a mark that has yet to be met, though on a few occasions, his team’s performance has brought him dangerously close to the chair.

“My sophomore year, we had to get five regional qualifiers and break four school records,” Tate said. “We ended up being two regional qualifiers short.”

Wieczorek said he had to set the goals high for two reasons. He wants his team to aim high, and he had to make them nearly unattainable to appease his wife.

“I was thinking about doing it, but my wife said I’m too old to get a tattoo,” the 63-year-old said. “My tattoo is like theirs. I have a Tigerhawk tattooed over my heart.”