Award-winning UI alumni share nature-inspired works

The simplest and most complex things can inspire poetry. A distinctive talent is necessary to craft a work that not only makes sense but has greater meaning.

Two graduates of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop have turned this talent into a satisfying career. Jared Stanley and Jessica Savitz will share their works at Prairie Lights Books, 15 S. Dubuque St., at 7 p.m. today.

Both Stanley and Savitz drew initial influence in the realm of poetry from various styles of music. Savitz was, throughout her life, surrounded by the musical styles of her father, who was a guitarist and songwriter. For Stanley, the hip-hop rivalries of his school days, which were prevalent at the time, affected him deeply.

“I was in love with wit,” Stanley wrote in an e-mail. “There was this combination of anger, humor, musical speech, and metaphor that just really made me laugh.”

Growing up in different regions of the country — Stanley from the San Francisco Bay area, Savitz hailing from San Antonio, Texas — these two worlds met when they both had the opportunity to hone their work at the Writers’ Workshop. Savitz found herself right at home in Iowa City, and she is grateful for her experience there.

“I felt so lucky to be accepted into the Writers’ Workshop, and being there was a lovely experience,” she said. “I met my husband there and many dear friends and talented teachers.”

In addition to their love for poetry, the two writers have collaborated outside the classroom. During their time at UI, Savitz and Stanley dabbled in musical endeavors as members of a local band called Sweatpants. The two were able to strike up a close friendship that holds true today, and both are excited to be paired at their upcoming “Live from Prairie Lights” reading.

The publishing process has been long but worthwhile for Savitz. Her first published collection, Hunting is Painting, will be released next year by &Now Publishing, based at Lake Forest College, located in a Chicago suburb.

Savitz spent two months doing intensive writing and studying there as the winner of the Madeleine P. Plonsker Emerging Writer’s Residency. Much of what will be included in Hunting is Painting is work that she created while a student at Iowa.

Like his colleague, Stanley has also won awards. The poet received the Crashaw Prize, sponsored by Salt Publishing. His winning work was Book Made of Forest, a collection of writings that expresses the need to be grateful for the world and being in it.

“I was in my pajamas, expecting another ordinary day, checking work e-mail, and there was the e-mail from Salt,” Stanley wrote. “Pretty dang exciting. I called my mom.”

It can be said that Savitz’s work in Hunting is Painting follows a similar vein, with its theme of the human connection to the natural and animal world. For her, this was the ultimate goal of her book.

“I feel liberated thinking about how poetry relates to our relationship to the animal world, to the roots of things, to primitive people, to the first fire — and I wanted to explore these ideas,” she said.

While transforming their thoughts into poetry, Stanley and Savitz remain steadfast and ambitious about future projects and show no signs of slowing down.

Jared Stanley

Good and coyote-clear

Let’s stand together on the soft ground