Soccer shuts out Iowa State, Northern Iowa

Two more Ws meant a lot to the Iowa soccer team, even more so given that the victories were shutouts over in-state rivals.

However, what the Hawkeyes were most impressed with was getting off to the best start in the program’s 13-year history.

The Hawkeyes (7-2) blanked rivals Iowa State, 2-0, on Sept. 18 and Northern Iowa, 3-0, on Sunday to continue a five-match winning streak — the last three all by shutouts.

“Playing the two schools from Iowa, we take a lot of pride in feeling like we’re the top program now in the state,” head coach Ron Rainey said. “We did a good job against Iowa State, and [Sunday] we came out with a real good energy level that helped put the game away early.”

Sophomore forward Keli McLaughlin and senior midfielder Alex Seydel scored goals against the previously undefeated Cyclones.

“Iowa State is always an emotional game,” Seydel said. “It was a good, solid win. I don’t think there was much doubt about who was the better team on the field.”

Iowa, typically a slow-starting team, wasted no time throwing jabs at the Panthers (2-4-2). Senior Jackie Kaeding headed in a goal assisted by sophomore Morgan Showalter in the fourth minute. McLaughlin also scored on a header in the seventh minute.

She then delivered the knockout blow in the 18th minute after fancy passing between her and sophomore Alyssa Cosnek to put the game out of reach. Every Hawkeye player saw the field, including all five goalkeepers. The starters rested nearly the entire second half, happily cheering on their teammates.

Senior cocaptain Heather Windsor made her first game appearance since tearing ligaments in her ankle on Aug. 28.

The program’s previous best start was a 6-2 mark to begin the 2000 season. Since giving up three goals in the opener to then-No. 24 Missouri, Iowa has only allowed three goals in eight games and recorded five shutouts while tallying 21 goals.

McLaughlin attributes the run to the entire team being efficient with the ball.

“I think connecting from our defense to our midfield line is helping a lot,” she said. “Instead of going from our defense to our forward line, we’re going from defense to midfield to forwards. It’s not just the starting lineup, it’s everybody clicking, and it shows on the field that we’re all working together.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Moran gives credit to the entire defense for its ferocious play this season, including the five shutouts.

“The shutouts come from the defenders and the rest of the field players because they’ve been doing their part and making my job pretty easy,” Moran said. “The shots that I’ve been getting haven’t been terribly hard or anything. It’s because of them that we’re doing so well.”

The Hawkeyes hope to continue their hot start, but know the competition will pick up with Big Ten conference play when they travel to Minnesota on Thursday.

“It’s like a whole second season we’re starting right now,” McLaughlin said. “The intensity is just a lot, lot higher. We expect a lot more out of each other as a team.”

Rainey is anxious to get the conference season, his fourth, underway.

“I think our players are excited about how we’re playing,” he said. “I think there’s a reality of knowing that the level is going to be higher when we head up to Minnesota. We’ve gotten some good repetitions. We’ve seen some things we’re doing well. We know there are some things we need to work on. But I think our players have some confidence heading up to Minneapolis.”