Regina Regals remain unbeaten

The Regals continued their perfect season with the fourth installment on Sept. 18, as defensive play led them to a Homecoming victory against North Cedar, 16-6.

“Our defense was the most valuable part tonight,” said Regina head coach Marv Cook.

Team honors for most valuable player went to Jordan Corpman, a senior lineman, who played aggressively and prevented penetration.

And though the Knights offense was strong, it was not strong enough to fend off the Regal’s defense.

Moments later, Regina’s Matt Miller recovered an on-side kick.

During the second quarter, Larew attempted another field goal, this time from the 40-yard line, but it fell short by inches.

At the half, the Regals went to the locker room ahead, 10-0.

The third quarter was more of the same; quarterback Jack Verducci scored a touchdown for the Regals.

It wasn’t until the top of the fourth quarter that the Knights finally got on the scoreboard. They attempted a 2-point conversion but were not successful.

With only 40 seconds remaining, North Cedar recovered a Regina fumble but didn’t have enough time for a drive.

Though his team finished on top, Cook still saw too many mistakes.

“We have room to play better,” he said. “We can be a pretty good team, and we can be a pretty average team. We have to just focus on getting better each and every day.”

Regina was favored before the game, but the Knights made them earn it.

“This is a group of guys who have worked very hard for the last two years,” Cook said. “If we play hard we feel we should win every single time we step on the field.”