Lost between genres

FILM REVIEW: Jennifer’s Body

Courtney Love’s song isn’t the only thing aching to take over Jennifer’s body — the demons want in, too. Diablo Cody’s latest foray into screenplay-land, Jennifer’s Body, yields a flick harder to categorize than the drugs in Love’s medicine cabinet. With an obvious horror plot spiked with teenage angst and layers of comedy, the film succeeds in doing one thing — leaving viewers questioning what Cody is trying to say underneath her layers of snark.

The flick has been more anticipated than an “Arrested Development” reunion. The Juno screenwriter is recognized with both admiration and loathing for her witty pop culture-laden sense of humor. Cody’s path to screenwriting stardom is a well-known — she created the indie teenage-pregnancy flick that nabbed her an Academy Award and worldwide recognition. After her comedic success, Cody has delved into the horror genre to create Jennifer’s Body.

Heading to the theater in support of a writer certainly isn’t common. In fact, there are countless flicks whose writers remain unknown while directors take the spotlight — but not Jennifer’s Body.

The film was marketed as being Diablo Cody’s latest film — not Megan Fox’s nor Amanda Seyfried’s, or even director Karyn Kusama’s. Cody alone was enough to draw in audiences — forget the fact that the previews looked crappier than I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. After seeing the flick, the question of whether Jennifer’s Body is as hot as Fox’s remains is negotiable.

The plot follows Jennifer (played by psycho-hottie Fox) and her best friend Anita “Needy” (Seyfried). Though Jennifer is super popular and Needy is beyond nerdy, the unlikely pair have a close, manipulative friendship that’s sprinkled with sexual tension. The duo decide to go see indie band Low Shoulder at a bar one night so Jennifer can hit on the lead singer (played by super sexy Adam Brody). Through a strange series of events, Jennifer’s body is taken over by a demon that causes her to feast on teenage boys.

The foxy succubus’ casting was completely intentional — Cody even admitted that Fox was stereotypically cast as the sexpot for a reason. While Fox leaves men drooling from afar in their cushioned theater seats, Jennifer tempts her on-screen boys closer — they quiver with lust before her innocent soul and quiver with fear before her inner demon just before it rips them apart.

It’s blatantly clear that Cody used Fox to argue the stupidity of the male sex. Jennifer’s preferred attack method involves luring men into secluded areas to sexually seduce them and then bites them to death. Her attacks come after a string of gruesome murders have occurred in the town — proving that guys tend to let their extremities think for them as opposed to their minds. When it comes to being hit on by a beautiful woman, common sense is completely ignored.

Though Cody’s feminist viewpoint continually focuses on male ignorance, it is worth noting that the horror flick’s two main characters are both women who are firmly in control — a rarity in a genre in which females are typically victimized for displaying any hint of sexuality.

Despite the movie’s gruesome undertones, Cody managed to incorporate the comedic elements for which she is known — creating a script peppered with pop-culture references including everything from the Bijou to the Bowflex.

Though her wit is still sharp, her underlying message is muddled. Is Jennfer’s Body a feminist revenge tale or a perverse coming-of-age story? Can a demonic possession result in a political comment on America’s viewpoint regarding virginity and corruption? And with the film’s focus on the body as an otherworldly vessel, a new starlet’s vehicle for superstardom, and the supposed source of a woman’s inherent power over men, can any of us real-world girls really expect to control what God gave us?

I’m not sure, and if there was one consistent theme in Jennifer’s Body, it’s that Cody doesn’t know, either.