Lemon Party shuts out Dipset 26-0

Lemon Party dominated Dipset on Sunday and walked away with a 26-0 flag-football victory at the Hawkeye Recreational Fields.

With an agile, mobile quarterback at the helm, Lemon Party scored on every possession.

Senior flag-football signal-caller Eric Therrien continually dipped, ducked, and dodged Dipset’s pass rush, playing like Michigan’s Tate Forcier Sunday. Like Forcier, Therrien threw on the run with marvelous precision.

He said the opposition’s pass rush was not a factor because Lemon Party’s playing style calls for him to run bootlegs outside the pocket.

“We moved the ball well,” he said. “That’s kind of how we play, though. We kind of have a freestyle offense where I just scramble and basically try to find anyone open.”

Lemon Party seized the lead in the first minute of play, converting on a 30-yard post route. Therrien was flushed out of the pocket seconds after the snap.

Digging his cleats into the grass, he cut, spun and slashed between linemen before heaving a tight spiral to a wide-open receiver — a play that set the tone for the remainder of the game.

Following almost every Lemon Party snap, the pocket broke down, and Therrien used his wheels to avoid Dipset’s linemen. He consistently confused the corners by throwing balls seconds before crossing the line of scrimmage. His ability to run as well as pass kept Dipset resting on its Achilles all game.

Dipset sophomore Anthony Willis said his team seemed lost on defense, and his team’s lack of practice was a big reason in deciding the game’s outcome.

“Man, we struggled,” Willis said. “The defense at times seemed a little shaky … we need to practice a little bit more.”

Despite the goose egg on the scoreboard, Dipset was able to move the ball down the field, utilizing a short, quick passing game. Unfortunately, those plays failed Dipset when the team entered the red zone.

Four interceptions at inopportune times were fatal.

Willis said Dipset’s underneath crossing routes and screens worked, but ultimately, a more dynamic offense is needed.

“I think the short stuff worked today,” Willis said. “[But] we need to change it up a little bit, and practice is key.”

The Lemon Party defense was stifling, stealing the Dipset QB’s flags repeatedly and attacking the quarterback immediately after the ball was hiked.

Lemon Party senior Jordan Brodbeck said with a quality pass rush in flag-football, his team is near unstoppable.

“You always want to play good, and I feel we played pretty well,” Brodbeck said. “We always got a good rush. [The Dipset] quarterback was always feeling pressure.”

Lemon Party’s mobile quarterback, and its ferocious interior D-line make the team a nasty foe for future opponents. Brodbeck said he thinks the team won’t be stopped, and he had a hard time coming up with an area the team needs to improve.

“We need to work on nothing,” he said. “We are perfect.”