I.C. Varsity roundup

The girls of the West High cross-country team traveled to Des Moines Roosevelt Sept. 19 and won their meet in exciting fashion. They defeated Des Moines Dowling — currently ranked 15th in the nation and first in the state — snapping Dowling’s unbeaten streak of more than three years. Brett Guerra finished fifth for the Women of Troy, followed by Bridget Novak in eight and Molly Leveille in 10th.

The girls’ swimming team kicked off a successful week on Sept. 15, defeating Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 107.5 to 78.5. Grace Murray led the team with victories in the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly. On Sept. 19, the team placed fourth at the Little Hawk Invitational at the Mercer Park Aquatic Center, scoring 274 points.

The volleyball team — currently ranked second in the state — beat Waterloo West on Sept. 15 in three sets, (25-18, 25-18, 25-18).

“We’re having a very successful season so far and pleased with the progress we’ve made,” head coach Kathy Bresnahan said.

On Sept. 14, Chet Flaum, Sam Eichhorn, and Ryan Shields led the boys’ golf team at the MVC Divisional meet.

— by Evan Smith

The Regina volleyball team beat West Liberty (25-17, 25-23, 24-26, and 25-19) on Sept. 14. Stacy Streb had 14 digs, and Kayla Balke had eight kills. The Regina volleyball team also had a dominant effort against Mid-Prairie Sept. 17 (25-13, 25-11, 25-10).

Both the Regina girls and boys cross-country teams placed first at the West Liberty Invitational. Nicole Kleinmeyer finished first and Julia Hunter fifth. Brennan Bogert also placed first for the boys.

“We did a better job communicating and staying positive,” senior Mallory Dixon said.

Kleinmeyer persevered on Sept. 17 at the Little Hawk Invitational, running 14:53 and breaking the Regina cross-country record.

“I didn’t feel that fast. I was not running for time,” she said. The Regina girls placed third. The boys finished fifth in the 4A meet.

— by Amelia Fleming

On Sept. 15, Clear Creek Amana volleyball played against Vinton-Shellsburg, losing two of the three matches. Brooke McKinnon managed 11 attacks and six kills for the team.

Varsity volleyball played another match last week against Solon on Sept. 17. Although Clear Creek Amana lost two of the three games, it played competitively; Claire Grabin scored two aces, and Amy Kalkhoff had 23 attacks and 11 kills.

Also Sept. 15, Clear Creek Amana’s cross-country team ran at the North English Golf Course. Emilie Jacobson placed second, leading the team. Personal bests included Matt Lintz, Dustin Cox, Mani Espinosa, and Jesse Jones. Medaling were Clint Tomas, Fritz Burgher, Espinosa, Emilie Jacobson, and Brandi Schmidt.

“I was proud of the boys’ team for achieving so many personal bests,” said coach Jane Astor. “It is a hilly course, so this is truly an accomplishment.”

— by Kayla Buffington

Clear Creek Amana beat Fairfield Sept. 17, 37-26.

Despite 13 penalties and several turnovers, the Clippers continued to move the ball well, scoring five touchdowns and Caleb Sedlacek scoring one field goal.

Clear Creek Amana quarterback Blaze Smith ran the ball into the end zone twice and connected with Ted Hergert for two more touchdowns.

Backup quarterback Kevin Delzell threw to Ted Hergert for yet another touchdown. Josh Rohret, and Zach Manders made interceptions, and Rohret and Drew Disterhoft caught passes.

— by Kayla Buffington