Third Eye Blind to perform at IMU in November

The members of Third Eye Blind have lived more than a semi-charmed life. The band’s domination of ’90s alt-rock airwaves included four albums, three top-10 U.S. singles, and a hit song that covertly inserted meth use into the mainstream.

Twelve years later, the post-grunge powerhouse will make its way to the UI community.

Third Eye Blind will perform in the IMU Main Lounge at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 2. The show is a SCOPE production, and tickets are $30. The opening act will be announced.

“The band was routing the tour, and the dates lined up, and everything came together really well,” said Carly Susral, SCOPE’s director of marketing.

SCOPE is a primary source for live entertainment for UI students, and it produces concerts and events throughout the school year. In the past two years, its acts have included Shwayze, Dierks Bentley, Lupe Fiasco, 311, Motion City Soundtrack, and Chuck Berry. Third Eye Blind’s IMU performance is the latest addition to the band’s fall U.S. tour, which will kick off Sept. 25 and includes several performances at colleges across the country.

Members Stephan Jenkins, Tony Fredianelli, and Brad Hargreaves first broke onto the scene in 1997 with the band’s massive hit “Semi-Charmed Life.” Despite an extended hiatus, Third Eye Blind has continued to stay in the popular musical consciousness.

The group’s latest album, Ursa Major (released Aug. 18), is peppered with musical experimentation while maintaining the group’s characteristic alternative rock edge.

For many UI students, this concert will provide a chance to wax nostalgic on Third Eye Blind’s past hits, as well as the opportunity to experience the band in a fresh light with its new material.

“We think the reaction to Third Eye Blind will be a pretty positive one,” Susral said. “It’ll be cool for anyone who grew up in the ’90s and remembers those hits. [The members] put on a great live show, and we’re really excited about it.”