State holds flood forum

The Rebuild Iowa Office sponsored a statewide forum Wednesday night to highlight current efforts in Iowa’s ongoing flood recovery.

Six different locations throughout the state tuned in through connected television sets to discuss assistance programs for flood victims.

The forum was broadcast from Camp Dodge in Johnston to sites in Elkader, Waterloo, Vinton, Des Moines, City High, and the Iowa City Public Library.

Rebuild Iowa Office Executive Director Lt. General Ron Dardis said people are still unaware of assistance programs they could be eligible to receive. He said he hoped flood forums like those held on Wednesday would help spread awareness.

Rebuild Iowa Office offers eight housing programs, including homebuyer assistance, interim mortgage assistance, single-family new construction, multifamily new construction, and large and small rental rehabilitation.

Immediately following the flood, the Federal Emergency Management Agency provided 600 Iowa families with temporary mobile homes. Roughly 150 families are still living in those units, said Cali Beals, division coordinator at the Iowa Department of Economic Development.

Officials at the forum said they are amazed at Iowa’s progress.

“I’m seeing progress moving faster than any other type of disaster,” said Ron Randazzo, strategic planner for Rebuild Iowa Office.

Sen. Robert Dvorsky, D-Coralville — a member of the Rebuild Iowa and Disaster Recovery Committee — said the committee has worked to pass 24 pieces of legislation for flood recovery, totaling $500 million in funding.

Dvorsky said $800 million is coming from state and federal funding and will eventually be in the billions, he said.

Funding will be distributed for various programs for at least another 10 years, Dvorsky said. After the widespread flooding in 1993, Randazzo said recovery efforts took about eight years.

“We really feel good about what we’re doing,” Randazzo said.

During the forum, citizens were allowed to ask questions about programs and additional funding to aid flood victims.

Rebuild Iowa Office, created by Gov. Chet Culver in June 2008, provides assistance, monitors funding and directs flood victims to resources.

This was the fourth forum held since the flooding in 2008, but Randazzo said attendance by flood victims has been low at the last two forums.

Randazzo said victims of the flood may think aid and assistance are moving too slowly, but he said Iowans should be proud of the state’s progress.

“The whole spectrum of programs are helping a lot,” Randazzo said.