Smooth Obturators still perfect on defense

The Smooth Obturators dominated in every aspect of the flag-football game Tuesday night, shutting out Dirt Show, 40-0, at the Hawkeye Recreational Fields.

In its third game of the season, Smooth Obturators has yet to allow a single point — relying on a proficient, organized defense consisting of a nasty two-man rush and an explosive secondary.

Dirt Show never stood a chance on Tuesday. Every snap resulted in the team’s quarterback being flushed out of the pocket, leaving him running as he heaved the ball downfield — praying, wishing, and hoping for a receiver to come down with the tumbling, spiraling football.

Unfortunately for Dirt Show, the Smooth Obturators’ defense usually came down with the passes.

“Our guys up front are pretty aggressive and get in there pretty quickly,” Secory said. “It puts a lot of pressure on the quarterbacks and makes them make some bad plays.”

The Smooth Obturators stormed out of the gate and never looked back against Dirt Show, returning an interception for a touchdown on the first drive.

The team’s first offensive possession was over quickly — the Smooth Obturators scored on a beautiful deep post route that ended with a diving catch from a receiver who split the secondary.

Fourth-year dental student Brian Fleshner said the Smooth Obturators drew up a plentiful number of plays before the season started, and with quality teamwork, they have worked like a charm.

“We have a bunch of plays scripted out, and we practice them,” Fleshner said. “They work pretty slick.”

Dirt Show may have had less talent, but the team also made poor mistakes that resulted in a number of yellow flags.

Dirt Show was penalized for flag-guarding, jumping offside, forward laterals, and false starts.

Dirt Show sophomore John Doessel said his team failed to communicate and mistakes recurred because of total team frustration.

“Missed communication … we were pretty bad on ‘D’ and [had] a lack of football experience,” he said. “A lot of these guys haven’t played before and don’t know what ‘going on two’ means.”

Dirt Show’s communication collapses destroyed it especially on defense. The Smooth Obturators repeatedly found the gaps in the secondary by employing trick plays.

In the second quarter, up 14-0, the Smooth Obturators ran an apparent reverse. Suddenly, the moving receiver lateraled the ball back to the stationary quarterback, who then launched a pass to a wide-open receiver sprinting down the sideline.

The play left Dirt Show lost in confusion.

Fleshner has a few words for future opponents.

“[It] doesn’t matter who we play,” he said “It’s going to be a mercy rule.”