CD Reviews: Gary Go and Ace Frehley

Gary Go is Not Leaving Anytime Soon

Gary Go: Gary Go

You might want to stay once you hear Gary Go.

Though the UK’s Go is easily recognized in his home country for both his dapper sense of style and the dramatic thick black frames that sit on his pale face, do not be intimidated — upon listening to his music, it’s easy to hear the deep and delicateness of his heart.

Discovered in 2007, he has climbed the UK top-40 charts since his début album was released overseas on May 25. He also toured this summer with Take That on the band’s summer stadium tour for The Circus and recently supported Lady Gaga on her European tour.

On Gary Go, this pop-rock, self-taught musician mixes self-empowering and insightful lyrics in a deep stew of smooth melodies. He perfectly titled each song on the disc to inspire a refreshing and invigorating listening experience. A prime example of this is “Wonderful,” which has achieved popularity both in the UK and internationally on iTunes (currently available for free download). In the track, he sings “And all your ammunition’s gone / run out of fuel to carry on / you don’t know what you wanna do / you’ve got no pull to pull you through / say ‘I am wonderful,’ ” leaving the listener with an optimistic message that’s contagious in a good way.

Though Go’s first album is impressive, there is always room for improvement. Now that he has made his formal introduction, playing it safe with cuddly lyrics and poptastic melodies, he needs to take a risk through innovative instrumentals and stylistic departures. Hopefully, he will find inspiration in his current exploration of the wild world of social networking, in which he commonly uses iPhone applications and Twitter to make music (he has already composed a whole song, “The Heart Balloon,” based on his followers’ tweets).

With his début album, he has made an extraordinary musical entrance into the pop world. So sit back and relax, because he is not going anywhere but up to the top of the charts.

Alissa’s picks: “Wonderful,” “Speak,” “Black And White Days.”

— by Alissa Rosen

This is rock ’n’ roll

Ace Frehley: Anomaly

Anomaly is Ace Frehley’s first new album in more than 20 years, so fans and newcomers alike are going to wonder, Is there any way in hell it can possibly be good?

The answer is a full blown “YES.” This album rocks more than any CD I have heard in a long while. Space Ace deserves to be commended for what he has done with this record — Anomaly is rock ’n’ roll in its purest form, and that is something that few newer bands or musicians can emulate.

Frehley has been labeled a guitar god, and this album proves why. Opening track “Foxy & Free” sounds like it could have been a ’70s radio hit with its groovin’ guitar lines and free-spirited vocals. Longtime fans will notice that Frehley’s vocals have significantly improved since earlier records. Whether it’s studio voodoo magic or the result of his putting down the cold bottle of gin, it doesn’t matter, because everything about the track works effortlessly.

“Outer Space” has been available for online download, and the recorded version sounds every bit as amazing as when I first heard the song via Internet weeks ago. Heavy guitars and eerie harmonies combine to make a memorable tune. “Pain in the Neck” explodes with more loud riffs and has lyrics reflecting on a past relationship.

“Fox on the Run” is a cover of a track originally recorded by Sweet in the ’70s, and it complements the old-school vibe of the album. “Sister” is another song that will have people remembering the times when Frehley wore his makeup and shiny silver costume in KISS with its explosive guitar solos.

Guitar enthusiasts will be pleased by the numerous instrumental tracks on the album. “Genghis Khan” features some of Frehley’s finest guitar work ever. “Space Bear” and “Fractured Quantum” are full of the emotion and energy that made his original 1978 solo album so amazing.

If I have one problem with Anomaly, it is the cheesy kid vocals in the acoustic “A Little Below the Angels,” but at least it seems sincere.

Anomaly is one of the best albums to come out this year, and it proves that Frehley still deserves his legendary status.

Eric’s Picks: “Foxy & Free,” “Outer Space,” “Pain in the Neck,” “Genghis Khan”

— by Eric Andersen