Klinefelter sisters win again

Pop. With one hit from Katy Klinefelter in the first round, Lacy Terrell was off balance.

Just one minute and 18 seconds in to the fight, a huge blow left Terrell dazed. And although she did not fall, it was apparent she could no longer fight as the referee waved his hands, signaling the end of the match.

“[Terrell] was wobbly,” said Emily Klinefelter, 25, who fought after her sister on Sept. 11. “It was obvious that she was hurt.”

In front of a lively crowd at the Johnson County Fairgrounds, Katy and Emily Klinefelter won their respective fights to remain undefeated as professional boxers.

Katy Klinefelter, a 22-year-old UI senior, had no trouble against Terrell, who is traditionally a mixed-martial arts fighter. She is now 4-0 professionally with two victories by way of knockout.

The fight was rough from the opening bell, with both opponents aggressively coming out of their corners. While Emily Klinefelter was trying to get in close for body blows, Curry backed off and tried to use her 5-inch height advantage for punches to her opponent’s head.

One big hit from Curry or a combination from Emily Klinefelter could have resulted in a knockout.

Unanimously, the judges awarded the fight to Emily Klinefelter, putting her record at 6-0 as a professional. Although she is used to the knockout, the 5-3 pugilist said she was fine going for a longer fight.

“It’s better for me and more motivating when I have to earn a decision.” said Emily Klinefelter, an Iowa graduate. “For my career, long-term, it’s probably better to have more tough fights like that.”

The duel of the night was certainly Jeff “The Beast” Farmer, an Iowa City native, coming back from a three-year absence to win a six-round split decision against Armand Horn, who previously held a 13-2 record.

Also, Lance “Layem Down” Williams made his début and knocked out Cody Larson in under a minute with just two heavy shots to Larson’s face.

The crowd ate up the fights, as all but one featured Iowa natives in at least one corner.

But while spectators enjoyed the night prior to the two main events, many of the undercard fighters expressed admired for the Klinefelters.

“They are two of the hardest working girls I’ve ever met,” said Andy Branson, 24, who fought in a Muy Thai exhibition and has trained with the Klinefelters at the Fit2Live gym in Iowa City. “They’re not just tough. They get it from the strategy standpoint.”

The women’s longtime trainer and promoter, Adam Pollack, offered the same insight.

“[They train] five to six days a week — every week, every month, every year.” he said. “They’re constantly working, constantly in shape, constantly improving, and if you want to be the best at something that’s what you have to do.”