Commentary: Freshmen rejuvenating Iowa running game

AMES — Today shall be dubbed “Flashback Monday,” so go get yourself a Push Pop and put up your Zach Morris poster, it’s business time folks (Skip It not included, though).

Similar to how Kel, from the Nickelodeon’s ’90s show “Kenan and Kel,” was infatuated with the bubbly — and totally underrated— orange soda, I love running backs.

I’ve had a sweet tooth for tailbacks since watching, well, “Sweetness” himself — Mr. Walter Payton, who played for the Chicago Bears from 1975 to 1987.

Thus, when I saw Iowa freshman tailback Brandon Wegher leap over Iowa State’s defensive ends at the 1-yard line on Sept. 12 to score his first touchdown, I knew my sweet tooth was still intact.

But stop there. I am in no way indicating that Wegher, playing in his first college football game, is the new Payton.

Ha. No way. But seeing him and redshirt freshman Adam Robinson find holes in the Cyclone “D” to average around six to seven yards a carry, eased my concerns regarding Iowa’s offense.

Yes, Shonn Greene is no longer gracing Kinnick Stadium — or the Big Ten for that matter — with his adept ability. I know. We all know.

But with the loss of sophomore Jewel Hampton — Greene’s expected replacement — to preseason injury before watching Paki O’Meara’s haphazard 16-yard performance against Northern Iowa, I remained aching for some offensive flavor.

Aching, I tell you.

And it was time. It was time, Kirk Ferentz. Iowa fans thank you for relinquishing your reservation of playing freshmen — or as I refer to them: The young cats (it’s “Flashback Monday,” remember?).

Wegher rushed for 101 yards, and Robinson’s starting début netted 69 yards in the Hawkeyes’ decisive 35-3 stomping of Iowa State in the annual Cy-Hawk game.

While Wegher’s 101-yard outing wasn’t quite Greene’s 217-yard best against Wisconsin last season, it was the Dakota Dunes, S.D., native’s first game. For the Iowa fans still moping over Greene, take your floppy “Blossom” hat off and listen to the sweet, sweet music of Iowa’s new talent whisking pass defenders because it’s happening.

With Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi’s extremely shaky first half, throwing two interceptions and consistently overthrowing deep passes to wide outs Trey Stross and Marvin McNutt, Wegher became the Hawkeyes’ playmaker.

When the Hawkeyes pulled ahead of Iowa State, 14-3, in the second quarter, Iowa offensive coordinator Ken O’Keefe had the ball go into the hands of whoever was making things happen on the field. Enter Wegher.

The 5-11 Wegher’s vertical prowess appeared to be his stronghold when he made a one-handed leaping catch for a 12-yard gain. Solid.

I haven’t seen a one-handed catch that left me with an inaudible gasp since Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson delivered his outstanding grab in the Yellow Jackets game-winning drive against North Carolina State in 2004.

One-handed grabs are “in” right now.

Both Robinson and Wegher’s impressive performances on Sept. 12 solidifies their placement as the No. 1 and No. 2 running backs on Iowa’s depth chart. As long as the experienced Iowa offensive line keeps blocking, the young backs are heading in the right direction — the end zone.