Volleyball aims for perfection against in-state rivals

The Hawkeyes couldn’t have imagined a better scenario to be in.

Starting its season 6-0 for the first time since 1988, the Iowa volleyball team will try to make history by winning the first seven matches of the 2009 season — something no other Iowa volleyball squad has done.

However, standing in its way is No. 11 Iowa State, and the Cyclones have won the three previous meetings in the Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series. However, the two teams split their two preseason meetings.

After facing Iowa State, Iowa plays Northern Colorado at noon and Drake at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

“Growing up [in Iowa City] and always battling the Cyclones, it’s such a big deal — the Hawkeye pride and defending our territory,” freshman outside hitter Emma Krieger Kittle said.

While Iowa has been off to a fast start, the Hawkeyes aren’t underestimating their in-state rival. The Cyclones’ ranking is the highest it has been in school history.

With five Big Ten teams ranked in the top 25, the Hawkeyes are going to use the opening matchup in the Hawkeye Challenge as a measuring stick.

“Iowa State is going to be that litmus test for us on how we’re going to do in the Big Ten because [the Cyclones] are much more like a Big Ten team than the teams that we’ve played up to this point,” Iowa head coach Sharon Dingman said. “They’re big. They’re physical. They’re fast. They’re all the things we’re going to see in a couple of weeks, every single weekend.

“Iowa State is going to expose our weaknesses probably a little bit better than some of the teams that we’ve played so far.”

After spending the last two weekends on the road, the Hawkeyes are ready for their home opener. The players are hoping to set a high precedent for the rest of the Iowa squads competing in the Cy-Hawk series.

“We want to beat them. Kill ’em,” senior setter Christina Meister said. “Being a Hawkeye, you always want to beat Iowa State. It’s just that rivalry thing. But one of the things that’s huge this year is they’re ranked pretty high.”

One key to Iowa’s early success has been its team defense. Iowa currently leads the Big Ten in digs, averaging 18.2 per game.

Meister was honored as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts at the Green Bay Classic on Sept. 4-5. She leads the conference with 5.19 digs per set.

Another factor in Iowa’s favor has also been its wealth of players who have proven they can step up when needed.

“I think we have a really deep bench, and every day we kick each other’s butt in practice,” Meister said. “Sharon does a really good job of mixing up the teams, and it makes us better because if I’m not digging, there’s someone behind me that can come in and dig. If [Megan] Schipper’s not hitting, there’s someone who can come in and hit just as well.”