IC Council considers curfew ordinance

The Iowa City City Council will hold the first public hearing on a curfew and loitering ordinance on Sept. 15.

The decision came after a two-hour discussion at a special work session on the issue. The ordinances would provide an opportunity for legal authorities to monitor minors and prevent them from congregating in large groups and roaming the streets late at night.

Residents of Iowa City’s Southeast Side brought the idea for the ordinances to the City Council as a method of curbing violence in the area.

“I don’t really know what the solution is,” Councilor Mike O’Donnell said. “What’s important to me is that we can get something done that is actually enforceable by the Police Department.”

The proposed curfew ordinance would cite minors for being out past designated times, which are divided based on age groups. The loitering ordinance would be complaint-driven for large groups of people who are obstructing traffic or hanging out on private property.

After long discussions, all of the councilors were in favor of moving on with the ordinances except for Councilors Amy Correia and Ross Wilburn, who both feared “unequal enforcement” of the ordinances.

Councilors said they know it’s important these ordinances affect the entire city, not just a specific side.

“I want to make sure it’s supplied equally to my neighborhood,” said Councilor Mike Wright.

“If we go through with this I want to make sure we don’t send a message to our youth [that] we think you’re a problem child,” said Iowa City Mayor Regenia Bailey. “They need to see some positive messaging; we need to remind them they are part of our community.”

If passed, the ordinance would give police the power to issue kids out past curfew citations.

Some community members said they have already made up their minds about the ordinances.

“Youngsters who are up to no good shouldn’t be out on the streets,” said Iowa City native Greg Burian.

The council encourages residents to share their opinions at its meeting on Sept. 15, where councilors will hold the first of three votes needed to pass the ordinances.

DI reporter Jim Malewitz contributed to this report.