Field hockey frosh holding more than her own

Not quite a month ago, the Iowa field-hockey coaching staff was unsure where to play freshman Sarah Drake.

Now, she’s Big Ten Freshman of the Week.

After scoring her first three career goals in two games last weekend, Drake will try to keep her offensive spark while helping the 17th-ranked Hawkeyes (1-3) earn their second-straight victory today when Iowa faces Virginia Commonwealth (3-0) at Grant Field at 7 p.m.

Drake’s three goals came from a position that was unfamiliar to the Ann Arbor, Mich., native prior to college — forward. Drake arrived in Iowa City having played as a midfielder for Pioneer High School.

“I thought it was really cool,” she said. “I honestly never saw myself getting an award like that, so it meant a lot.”

With a team that lost eight seniors from a season ago, Iowa head coach Tracey Griesbaum was aware she would need new scorers. Right away, Drake’s willingness to fill that void was easily apparent to Griesbaum and her staff. It didn’t take much longer for them to realize that Drake had a lot of the necessary tools as well.

While her skills still need development, Drake has a surplus of intangibles.

“She has the heart,” the coach said. “ She’ll fight hard. She’ll run. She’ll do all of the work that goes into it. A lot of forwards don’t or aren’t willing to do that, so they don’t ever put themselves in a position to score or help the team. She’s phenomenal at that — she’s got a lot of energy.”

Standing no taller than 5-2, Drake’s high-energy play glistens when she hits the striking circle against opposing defenses. Despite Drake’s lack of size, Griesbaum said, she doesn’t play small, and she puts herself in a position to score— qualities that have helped Drake find a spot in the frontline for now.

“Things can change,” Griesbaum said. “I’d prefer to take it a week at a time. She’s a pretty good defender too, which makes her useful in different lines, but I think we need her this weekend up front again.”

Drake’s surprising production has been instrumental for Iowa. Still, more new faces will need to emerge for the Hawkeyes to parlay their Sept. 6 victory over Boston University into a winning streak, like junior forward Sarah Pergine hopes.

“We just need everyone to step up,” Pergine said. “[Drake] obviously has in the first two weeks. If she can keep contributing how she has, we’re going to be improving a lot in the frontline.”