Classic films return to the Englert

The Englert Theatre is working to change (or perhaps complement) the stereotypical lazy Sunday with the return of what the establishment’s screen was originally created for — movies.

Sunday Night Pictures, sponsored by M.C. Ginsberg, boasts the return of classic films to the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St. The series will present a movie every Sunday until Dec. 20, with most shows beginning at 7 or 9 p.m. (with exceptions including the afternoon showing of The Sound of Music and a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show). The schedule includes 11 movies spanning more than six decades, and admission will typically be $5 at the door the day of the show.

After nearly turning into a bar, the Englert reopened in 2004 as a place for live music, theater, and comedy. Missing from the menu was movies. Englert Theatre CEO Sean Fredericks said both patrons and employees have wanted movies to return to the establishment.

“People have a lot of memories of seeing movies here as a kid, or in college, or from way, way back,” he said. “[A movie series] is something we’ve wanted to do for a number of years now.”

Sponsor Mark Ginsberg said he is proud of how Sunday Night Pictures has blossomed.

“Anytime we can engage the community in something that is unique … it’s good,” he said. Going to a movie on a Sunday night is a good way to occupy oneself or to decompress from weekend activities, he said.

Fredericks was in charge of selecting which films will run in the series.

“ ‘Classic’ is pretty loosely defined — everybody’s got a different idea of what a ‘classic’ movie is,” he said. “And that was kind of the point.”

When making his final film decisions, he said, he was looking for movies that appealed to a wide variety of viewers. Some of the movies that will be playing during the series include Fight Club (Sept. 13), Super Troopers (Oct. 18), The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Oct. 31), Say Anything (Nov. 15), The Sound of Music (Nov. 22), and Napoleon Dynamite (Dec. 6). The complete lineup is available on the Englert’s website.

“I tried to pick a little bit of everything to appeal to lots of different kinds of people,” Fredericks said. “And to get different kinds of people downtown to see movies at the Englert.”