Waiver worthwhile

For the last three months, Merel Beelen has been in limbo.

A member of the Iowa women’s tennis team, she applied to the NCAA for a hardship waiver after last season. That organization recently approved the waiver, which will grant her an extra year of eligibility.

The academic All-Big Ten senior graduated last spring with a degree in interdepartmental studies and a concentration on health. She’s now enrolled in classes, hoping to get into a graduate program back home in the Netherlands. Doing so allowed her the chance to complete her college tennis career at Iowa.

“I felt that I wasn’t finished playing for Iowa,” Beelen said. “I also have to finish a few more classes to get into a master’s program back home.”

Last year, she was hampered by an abdominal injury for most of the season, after dealing with numerous ankle and heel issues in years past, leading her to request the hardship waiver.

According to the NCAA, a hardship waiver can be obtained for a player who was at “an incapacity resulting from an injury or an illness.” Student-athletes who played in less than 30 percent of their previous season are eligible. The waiver applications must be submitted within 60 days of the end of the season.

“It took about three months to get approval … after I applied for the hardship waiver,” Beelen said.

She spent the summer wondering whether her application was going to be approved. With a chance to potentially play and with injuries in recent years keeping her out, not knowing and not training were two things she couldn’t bear.

After being granted the waiver, she had to quickly make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in the Netherlands to get a visa.

With all Beelen’s recent string of bad luck, head coach Daryl Greenan said he eyes a leadership role for Beelen this season.

“Merel has been with us for four years, and she kind of has a lot of ownership in the program,” he said. “If she’s healthy this year, she’s going to have a huge impact.”

Beelen’s goals for the season are similar to those that Greenan has set for her as well.

“For now my goal is to get ready for the season,” she said. “Work hard and make sure the body stays healthy.”

Teammate Kelcie Klockenga looks forward to seeing Beelen accomplish some of the goals she has set.

“I think it will be good to have her back,” Klockenga said. “Hopefully, she can stay healthy.”

Even with the injuries, Beelen is happy about her situation in Iowa and doesn’t want to leave anytime soon. When asked about how long she plans to stay in the Hawkeye State, she kept her answer short and simple.

“I really enjoy Iowa,” she said. “It’s my second home.”