Yoga studio opens on Clinton Street

Maureen Mondanaro is to yoga as Richard Simmons is to aerobics.

The studio owner said she wants Iowa City residents to participate in and feel the benefits of the ancient practice of hot yoga. First performed in India, this type of exercise is done in a heated room filled with humidity to imitate the climate of the region.

Hothouse Yoga, 224 S. Clinton St., will open at 6:15 a.m. today. Those interested can also take classes at the new location’s sister studio located in Coralville information about class schedule and prices can be found at www.hothouseyoga.com.

Mondanaro’s passion for the practice stems from the positive results she has experienced in her 10 years of studying the craft. she said. She was first exposed to hot yoga after her husband suffered an injury and was encouraged to try it as a means of recovery. After seeing the change in her husband and witnessing his quick turnaround, she decided to take classes herself and was instantly hooked.

“It’s the best preventative medicine,” she said. “Our world isn’t what it used to be — from the toxins we take in to the food we eat to the air that we breathe. The only way for the toxins to come out is to sweat them out of your system. It’s therapy, it’s a facial, its detoxification and cleansing the systems of the body.”

The Mondanaros, who also own several restaurants downtown, saw an opportunity to expand their business when the Clinton Street space opened.

“When we moved the Bread Garden and that space became available, I just knew we needed to bring yoga to downtown Iowa City,” Maureen Mondanaro said.

The studio will host different yoga instructors from around the country to share their expertise, including Wade Morissette, twin brother of singer/songwriter Alanis Morissette. His workshop, “A Weekend with Wade,” is scheduled for Sept. 25 -27. Classes will be available for all levels.

UI senior Kizzy Marco, who works at the studio and has been practicing hot yoga for three years, hopes to reach more students with the new location. Though she realizes that financing classes is often difficult for students, she stresses the importance of taking time for exercise and relaxation.

“You are not too busy, too young, too old, too fat, too weak, too poor,” Marco said. “You can make it happen. It’s all about workability.”

Mondanaro also realizes that many in the community are on tight budgets during these tough financial times. Because of this, she said, the studio offers a work-study program to those who are completely committed to learning yoga.

“My door is always open,” she said. “If people are really willing to commit, I will make it happen for them.”

A donation-based class beginning in October will be held Saturdays at 3 p.m. Patrons are encouraged to donate what they can afford with the proceeds given to local charities. The aim is make hot yoga available for all who wish to learn.

Though hot yoga has the potential to be uncomfortable at first, Mondanaro insists the heat is magical in its ability to flush out toxins and revive and nourish. With time, patrons can expect to see positive changes both mentally and physically.

Marco has also seen herself transform through practicing. After losing her home during the 2008 flood, she praises hot yoga as a stress reliever that brought peace and balance back into her life during the difficult time. She challenges skeptics to take classes for one full week before making up their minds.

“I dare people to [participate] in a seven-day challenge and say they don’t feel better,” she said.