UIMA at IMU opens to general public

The UI Museum of Arts collection in the IMU will open to Iowa City’s general public today during its regular Tuesday hours, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will be available for viewing through the rest of the semester during museum hours.

First opened during the Welcome Week Black and Gold Carnival in Hubbard Park, the exhibit in its new space was previewed only by students who were in attendance at the festivities.

The Richey Ballroom is divided into five spaces, each with its own broad themes. An art inventory exceeding 500 works of art gathered from the collection housed by the museum is on display. Of the 500 works, 250 range from diverse locations including Africa, ancient Americas, China, Japan, and Tibet. The different media included in the display are ceramics, conceptual art, prints, drawings, and variations of figurative art.

Since the fall 2009 semester’s opening, the space has been utilized for classrooms by appointment. The museum curatorial staff chose the works of art based on their use as teaching tools for art and art-history students.

“It’s clear students and faculty have missed the experience original works of art can provide,” museum curator Kathleen Edwards said.

Learning from actual artwork rather than textbooks gives students the benefit of viewing fine details, Edwards said. The technical process of each piece can be appreciated, which students cannot gain from images printed on paper.

The students can also gain the opportunity to compare and contrast pieces to determine the differences among styles, cultures, and techniques. This means that students can better analyze the reality of the artwork, Edwards said.

“It provides a deeper appreciation,” she said.

Six months ago, renovations to the Richey Ballroom began for the purpose of housing the museum. The total cost of renovation is estimated at $1 million, with 90 percent provided by FEMA. The space was refurbished to its original maple flooring. The ceiling height was also adjusted to adhere to climate and light control to maintain the integrity of the art collection.

The placement of the museum in the IMU is temporary. Selected pieces from the collection will also be featured in the Levitt Center’s Stanley Gallery and the IMU Black Box Theater.

— by Hanna Rosman