Comedian headlines charity event

Imagine crossing the finish line of a marathon. You just finished running 26 miles under the hot Hawaiian sun, your skin continues to pour rivers of sweat, and your legs feel as if they’re made of JELL-O.

If you’re Greg Frieden, this scene will be reality. Frieden, who has never attempted a marathon, will run in one later this year for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In order to raise money for his entry fee, Frieden has put together a benefit, Comedy for Charity.

“After all the struggles I’ve seen people go through, I was like you know, this is something I could do,” he said.

Comedy for Charity will be held at 7 p.m. today at the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St. A silent auction will begin at 6:30 p.m., and the show will follow. Professional standup comedians Nathan Timmel and Jim Flannigan, as well as Matt Geiler and local comedian Jack Lewis, are scheduled to perform. Tickets are $12 for adults and $7 for students, and 100 percent of the proceeds, including those from the auction, will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Comedy for Charity was put together in approximately six weeks. When Timmel, the headliner, had no hesitation about participating in the event, the planning took off, Frieden said.

“What was I going to do, say no?” Timmel said.

Frieden said he expects many college students to be present at the event, but he is hoping the silent auction will also attract a broader audience. Items up for auction include a “night on the town” package (which includes a dinner and tickets to the Engert), a Lia Sophia necklace, a decorative rock set, and Cedar Rapids Rough Riders hockey tickets.

“People love to give money for a good cause, and they’re getting something back out of it,” Frieden said. “[The audience is] getting four standup comedians for the price of one.”

All of the comedians are donating their time, as well.

“If I was in it for [the money], I wouldn’t do it,” Timmel said.

Timmel and Flannigan are professional touring comedians — in fact, Timmel does not limit his comedy to the United States. He has traveled to Iraq, and he will talk about his experiences while there at tonight’s show.

Timmel described his comedy as storytelling. “It’s not knock-knock jokes or a punch line,” he said. “I’m not trying to make up jokes. I just talk about my life and the experiences I have.”

Frieden is expecting a high attendance at tonight’s benefit.

“[The show is] a win-win,” he said. “[The audience members] get something fun out of, they get a great night out, and it’s all for a good cause.”