Metalworking at the Figge

The Second Iowa Metal Guild Exhibition: A Riveting Experience will be on display at the Figge Museum of Art, 224 W. Second St., Davenport. The exhibition will open Sept. 7, and admission is free. There will be a public reception on Sept. 10 at 7 p.m.

The exhibition is centered on commemorating the diverse metalwork in the Iowa arts community. Only artists who reside, have taught, or have received their education in Iowa will be featured. The work was juried by Tom Muir, a professor at Bowling Green State University, Joe Muench, a professor at Iowa State University, and Robert Coogan, a professor and the head of the metalsmithing department at Tenessee Technological University.

An estimated 44 artists with more than 80 pieces of artwork will be on display. The process for entering the Iowa Metal Guild included the selected jurors analyzing images of the artwork and determining the level of creativity, aesthetics, and innovation. Two out of the three jurors had to approve the artwork before it could be entered into the exhibition.

“[The artwork to be exhibited] ranges from really fine craft jewelry artwork to objects including furniture,” said Kee-Ho Yuen, acting president of the Iowa Metal Guild.

The goal of the Iowa Metal Guild is to promote relationships between artists and the public about the field of metalsmithing. Workshops, lectures, and more will be available.

— by Hanna Rosman