Indie punk band brings its Nebraska roots

From Dullsville, USA, to indie-punk fame, Capgun Coup has risen from the self-proclaimed “banality of suburban Nebraska” (Omaha, to be exact), to touring the Midwest in support of its début album, Brought To You By Nebraskafish.

As demonstrated by the disc’s title, drummer Eric Ohlsson said the environment in which all of the Coup’s members grew up has left an indelible mark on the members.

“It has made a huge impact on our music,” he said. “It has shaped the way we play, tour, and think — sometimes a little too much.”

Capgun Coup, with special guests Spot and Mannix, will perform at 9 p.m. today at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St.

This will not be Capgun Coup’s first time at the Mill. Andre Perry, in charge of booking at the venue, said that the band opened for Cursive two years ago, and when it comes to booking acts, the Mill looks for that “certain something.”

“We look for a promising musical act — bands that might be on the rise or others that are well-established,” Perry said.

The band, formed in 2004, began as group founders lead vocalist/guitarist Sam Martin and Greg Elsasser discovered a mutual interest in the exciting world of musical performance. Before long, the band’s original creative duo joined forces with Ohlsson and Andy Matz, fresh out of school and exploring Omaha’s downtown scene. The quartet ultimately cultivated its own indie pop/punk sound. The band lineup has since changed: Matz has left, and Jesse McKelvey and “Roadie” have joined.

Martin and Elsasser wrote the majority of the material for Brought To You By Nebraskafish while still in high school. From the offset, the group members said, they put nothing but wholehearted effort (and most of their money) into all aspects of the band’s being. Capgun Coup was first noticed playing a number of shows at Hotel Frank in Omaha. As a result, the band was signed to the independent label Team Love Records, based in New York City.

“Some of the label people saw [a show], and it must have reminded them of the old days, and they decided to re-release our first album,” Ohlsson said.

With this kind of support, Capgun Coup has been able to make a name for itself on the indie scene, and it has since toured the nation several times. As any up-and-coming musicians probably know, being on the road undoubtedly has its positive aspects, but in most cases, taking the bad with the good is a necessary evil.

“The best part is playing shows in different cities, some we have never been to before, and doing what we love,” Ohlsson said. “The downside is being broke, hungry, smelly, and tired. But I think the good outweighs the bad most of the time.”

When it comes to crowd interaction, Capgun Coup is always looking for fans and newcomers alike to have a great time. However, that doesn’t mean that the audience can just stand around.

“We like to be treated like we treat everyone,” Ohlsson said. “We release a lot of energy, and hopefully, they do as well.”

Armed with a solid set of material and clear work ethic, the band is set to release a new album on Nov. 3, and the members plan on touring through next summer. As far as the future is concerned, all they can do is wait for what happens next.

“With us, you never know what to expect,” Ohlsson said.